Author Topic: Is this wood still sound? Red/Slippery Elm with Dutch Elm Disease  (Read 791 times)

Offline JonF

I had a friend bring down a nice sized red/slippery elm (Ulmus rubra) that was still alive but struggling from Dutch Elm Disease. I got quite a few clean and clear staves from it, other sections of the tree had the discolored streaks through the sapwood. I did a search and found a few mixed reviews, I'm wondering if the wood is still sound and can make a bow or if I need to chase a ring on these staves. I don't mind chasing a ring if necessary, there's even some nice thicker growth rings in the heartwood but I thought the streaks would make for a cool looking back. Anyone ever work with something like this?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Is this wood still sound? Red/Slippery Elm with Dutch Elm Disease
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 07:03:39 pm »
Try a piece and see. As long as the tree was still alive and the wood not punky I think I'd give it a try.
 How does Dutch elm disease affect trees?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 08:23:53 pm »
 Looks like the start of bluestain, which is cosmetic only and doesn't effect the structural integrity. It usually occurs in summer cut wood in a humid environment.

Offline JonF

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2023, 09:32:12 pm »
Try a piece and see. As long as the tree was still alive and the wood not punky I think I'd give it a try.
 How does Dutch elm disease affect trees?

I'm gonna give it a go, I've got a couple of staves roughed out and drying in the rafters of my shop, I guess we'll find out in a few months or so.

Without debarking the tree the biggest tell for Dutch elm disease is the leaves on the sickly branches wilting and dying off during the spring/summer. It really hit my area here in West Virginia hard, there aren't many big elm trees left around and the young ones don't seem to last long, I was sad to see this one come down but I'm glad I was able to snag some for bows instead of it all going into the firewood pile. I've been keeping the inner bark for basket weaving as well I'm planning on trying to make a basket quiver with some of it.

Looks like the start of bluestain, which is cosmetic only and doesn't effect the structural integrity. It usually occurs in summer cut wood in a humid environment.

Thanks. It definitely could be, it's always high humidity here and the wood was sitting for longer than I would have liked before i could get to it.