Author Topic: What flint for beginners?  (Read 5872 times)

Offline Muskyman

What flint for beginners?
« on: October 20, 2023, 02:16:19 pm »
Okay I’ve been watching some flint knapping videos and I’m kinda thinking I’d like to try it. So I’m going to need some tools and of course some flint. Thinking I’d like to make some arrows for myself. I’m aware it’s not easy and will take time and practice to learn. I might not even be able to but, I think I’d like to try. So what tools and what type of flint would you recommend.
Most of the videos I’ve watched are Ryan Gill and I know he sells flint. I’ve thought about getting a set of tools from him and some flint. I’m in Ohio and might eventually look into finding some around here but not really sure what I’m looking for. I’ve got a dry, off and on creek that runs through my property and I might take a look around for some chirt back there but will probably buy some first.
Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 03:26:42 pm by Muskyman »

Offline Muskyman

Re: What flint for beginners?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 03:28:46 pm »
Went out back for a few minutes in the rain and grabbed a couple rock chunks probably nothing but thought I’d put a picture on here.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 08:09:07 pm »
As a beginner I used stone I found but i would recommend buying quality rock to start. It's much easier to learn if you can tell you made a mistake rather than maybe it was you or maybe the rock sucked. Ryan's prices are kind of high, I'd go to neolithics website or flintknappingsupplies. Also 2 really good YouTube channels are freeze cracked and gulf coast knapping
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 10:43:44 pm »
I’ll look at those sites Allyn, thanks. I think I’ve already been on flintknappingsupplies site. What are must have tools to start. Could I make them?

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 11:21:22 pm »
Bare minimum would be a pressure flaker, pad, and a bopper. Oh and abraider but you could find rock to use for abrading.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2023, 02:32:55 pm »
I'd buy a box of Georgetown Flint. It is great for learning percussion flaking. And another good place to buy tools is Flint Knapping Supplies dot com.

Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2023, 01:47:03 pm »
Yes, a good starters kit and Georgetown and you’ll be off and running.  Sitting down with someone who knows the concepts is huge. 
1’—>1’

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2023, 04:44:46 am »
Glass is possibly the cheapest "stone" to start with
Knapping bottle bottoms could teach you alot.
Many knapping videos on glass knapping on youtube

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2023, 11:17:30 am »
Been getting a few tools and making others. Also bought a box of the Georgetown. Got curious about where it comes from and found it comes from the Edwards plateau in Texas. As it happens my daughter lives in Austin. It’s right on the edge of the Edwards plateau and in the area of good flint hunting country. I contacted her and sent some pictures of the Georgetown flint to her. She kindly offered to look for some and said she’s pretty sure she has seen quite a bit of it while she’s out walking her dog. She said she will start picking some up and bringing it home and send me pictures of it. I’m hopeful that she can find some for me and if she does I’ll have her ship it to me. With the cost of flint I found online it would be a blessing for my new venture.. Hopefully in the next few weeks I’ll have everything I need to get started. I’ve been watching videos on knapping, jack crafty and Ryan gill mostly, and am hoping that my work in stone masonry helps me a little with the learning curve. Hopefully I can get to where I can make a decent arrowhead. Don’t expect to get there overnight but I am going to start flaking away on rock and see what happens. Once I get going I’ll post some pictures of my failures and hopefully some successes.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2023, 08:55:50 pm »
That’s very cool and interesting about the Georgetown.  Make sure you fully understand the idea of the centerline in thickness and how platform preparation and placement relates to that centerline.  Trim and manipulate the rock to get the platform you want.

It’s a super fun journey don’t get frustrated.  It’s a game of Tetris kinda
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2023, 09:19:33 am »
Hey Muskyman, saw that you are in OH have you made Flint Ridge?
1’—>1’

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2023, 11:26:25 am »
I’ve read about flint ridge Parnell. I’ve yet to try any knapping at all. I have a 25 lb box of Georgetown on the way and is supposed to be here by Monday. The flint ridge area is about a hour and a half away from me, I think, have to double check that but, that’s probably close. I’ve looked at it online and it’s pretty stuff. I’ve been making tools while waiting for my package. Made 3 different size boppers and a percussion flaker   Also a indirect percussion stick and a notching tool. Still need a thing or two. Going to make a hand pad like jack crafty uses and a few other things. I might try and make a trip to the flint ridge area after I find out more about it and where to start looking for the flint down there. I’m just guessing it’s probably been picked over pretty good because it’s kinda concentrated in a smaller area but that’s just a guess. I’m also not sure about access to the public. I’ll check on all that. If I do get down there and find a bunch I’d be happy to trade some.

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2023, 03:12:44 pm »
After looking around online a bit it appears the easiest and most common place to find flint ridge flint is Nethers farm. From what I can find they charge 10 bucks to access their property and a dollar a pound for the flint you harvest. I even saw a video of a guy with a jackhammer and a generator digging into a quarry on the property.. Its a two hour trip from my house to the farm but the flint is really beautiful. Saw some videos of people that went and got it to polish and make jewelry. Really is pretty if that’s what you’re in to. I might make a trip there next year just for the heck of it. Hopefully by then I’ll have a idea of what I’m looking for and get some stuff that will make good arrowheads. Very colorful stuff. From what I’ve read the vein is 3x9 miles in size and 2 to 12 feet thick. I’m thinking that would be a fun trip to make. Being a stone mason I’ve got tools to take and make getting some stone out a little easier. Just got to learn what I really want to make arrowheads with. I used to hunt not far from there so I kinda know that area.. if and when I go I’ll shoot some pictures on here of what I find.

Offline Allyn T

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2023, 11:28:45 am »
There is a knapp-in at Flint ridge twice a year too. You could def get some pointers and meet some other knappers. It's always Labor Day weekend and memorial weekend

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2023, 11:58:11 pm »
I seen that they have some Knapp-ins there Allyn. I’m sure I could learn a lot from going to a few of them.
Thanks for the info.