Author Topic: Harbor freight bandsaw  (Read 4607 times)

Offline TimBo

Re: Harbor freight bandsaw
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2023, 10:49:07 pm »
I agree with trying to find a used Delta, but the Craftsman 12" is quite useful and a lot less money.  I used mine until the motor burned up (probably my fault for trying to resaw with it...).  My old 14" Delta is much nicer though - after stalking Craigslist for a long time, I finally found a good one with lots of bells and whistles added by the original owner (bigger motor, riser block).  Harbor Freight is OK for tools with no moving parts that you won't use often (dead blow mallets, for example) or trailer hitches.  I haven't used their bandsaw but imagine it might not stay in adjustment well.

Offline papagus

Re: Harbor freight bandsaw
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2023, 10:26:59 pm »
My personal experience with a Harbor Freight 9" band saw.
I bought one back in 2013 for something like $120, (20% coupon....lol) when I first got into making lam bows and it still works today. Yes it's underpowered and sometimes gets stuck but I go slow with it. I've used it to cut bow forms, bow profiles, risers, laminations, including IPE wood which is hard as a rock.  The most important thing that I found was that you need to buy a really good blade.  I've used a half inch 3 teeth per inch Timberwolf (costs about $60) but it cuts real good. Attaching some pics with things I cut.