Author Topic: Checkering a maclura tinctoria (Argentine Osage)  (Read 6793 times)

Offline superdav95

Checkering a maclura tinctoria (Argentine Osage)
« on: December 09, 2023, 01:54:34 pm »
I’ve been doing a ton of hunting these days still no deer yet.  Still got some season left so we shall see.  As a result my bow building has been mostly been put on hold during the day and only work little in the evenings.  I haven’t posted any bows in a bit so I figured I’d post this work in progress showing my checkering process.  This Osage bow is pretty well tillered but not fully shot it yet.  A few shots here and there during final tiller stage.  I’d like to put my arrows through but weather is not cooperating with me.  This species is from panama area and is known as argentine Osage.  Maclura tinctoria.  I was gifted this piece a while ago from a buddy who lives there and I helped him make a knife.  It’s very heavy compared to my other Osage bows.  The ring count and ratios was just ok.  The first few rings on the back side are decent but the rest towards the belly are tight rings.  This stave was quite old according to my buddy 10plus years or so before I got it.  I just figured the darker rich Color had something to do with its age and set it aside.  It’s more orange then yellow. This could be more to do with where it grew then age or it also could be this type of Osage this is.  Not sure.  There was a little character and snake wiggles too.  I may or may not put snake skins on it.  I decided to go with a checkered grip on this one.  I’m sure there are a few ways of doing this and I’m by no means an expert on this topic but figured I’d post here my process for those interested in maybe doing one. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

Re: Checkering a maclura tinctoria (Argentine Osage)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 02:05:56 pm »
More pics.  Here you can see how I begin my layout in pencil first.  I use a 2:1 angle guide for my diamonds pattern.  Just a preference.  The sky is the limit on this stuff.  This checkering stuff is another rabbit hole to get lost in and some very talented folks out there doing very detailed intricate designs.  This is not what I’m after here.  I am just doing a simple pattern with an x in the middle with a double wide line.   I’ll clean up the edges a bit still but the first side is done and looks not too bad.  You can see in the last 2 pics that I use a set of old dental goggles and a pic of the set I got.  It was a basic set that included enough for me to get started.  Enjoy 😊

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 03:24:12 pm »
Lovely work Dave. I've never seen an Argentine osage unbacked before. Was it from a stave, or a board? With that checkering the bow looks like a high caliber hunting weapon.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 03:39:24 pm »
Thanks hamish!   Unbacked.  Do you think I should back it?    I’ve been treating it much like I would with regular Osage we would get in the states mostly as I didn’t realize there was any real difference to speak of.  I’ve been learning a bit more about it lately and some of the nuances however.  It shoots nice.  Not my fastest bow but no handshock to speak of and it only took 1/2”-3/4” of set.  About 55 at 28”.  I’ve done this checkered pattern on a few bows now and it does get a little easier with each one but still takes a few hours to do.    Thanks for looking

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Hamish

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2023, 10:23:32 pm »
No need to back it. I think the only times I have seen it was with bows from lumber, they just happened to be backed with hickory or boo. If the grain is straight enough, then there is no need.

Can't wait to see it in action.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2023, 01:30:30 am »
Yes it was from an older stave.   The ring count and ratio wasn’t the best but seems to shoot well enough.  I put it through the chrono when weather gets better here.   

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2023, 08:59:50 am »
Man that is some beautiful work, love it. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2023, 11:10:40 am »
There is a reason we call you Superdave.🤠🤠
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2023, 02:08:05 pm »
Beautiful checkering, Dave. Definitely looks like a labor of love.
 I've used Argentine osage, not for a selfbow but as an overlay on a fretted belly and it worked great for that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline superdav95

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2023, 04:58:47 pm »
Thanks fellas!   I should have a little more time to get this one finished up now.  I got my deer yesterday!  It was putting a damper on my bow making. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2023, 05:34:19 pm »
Nice Buck !!! Congratulations
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2023, 06:56:27 pm »
Excellent work on the bow and the buck.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2023, 08:12:17 pm »
Nice buck !!!
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline superdav95

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2023, 01:42:20 am »
Thanks guys.  Lot of sitting in stands for this guy.  Got this checkered handle pretty well done. Just got to clean up my edges a bit.  In total about 3hours to do.  It gives a very secure feel without being too aggressive of a grip even if it get sweaty and wet.  Think it will suit this bow as I want to show off the deep Color of this Osage. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Hamish

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2023, 08:29:37 am »
Great news about the deer.

Bow looks sweet. I foresee a trend in checkered handles about to start.