Author Topic: Elm---more help please  (Read 3694 times)

Offline Mad Max

Elm---more help please
« on: December 09, 2023, 04:01:33 pm »
Haven been on here for a while. >:(

What kind of Elm in my state is good/best for bows, and what is the smallest diameter tree to start with?
North Mississippi

https://regionalgardening.com/elm-trees-in-mississippi/

« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 05:49:37 pm by Mad Max »
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Elm
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 06:47:26 pm »
Mark, I've only used winged elm and red elm and both are very good bow woods. I think anything 2" and up would be good for hunting weight bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 08:23:09 pm »
Mark, I've only used winged elm and red elm and both are very good bow woods. I think anything 2" and up would be good for hunting weight bows.

There are 3 of the 5 on that link I posted and the 3 say other names red elm also.
Check that link for me please.  ???
I printed the tree pictures and info to help me find the correct ones.
Thanks Pat :)
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 08:28:24 pm »
Never used anything ,but good clean  American elm, so nothing to compare it to. It worked fine for me.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2023, 01:48:00 am »
Mark, I don't know if the red elm I used was one of those three red elms. The stave was given to me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2023, 08:32:24 am »
 :o ??? ::) :P :fp

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2023, 02:11:31 pm »
Red elm has been used in a lot of laminated glass bows with good results. My Treadway bow has red elm back and belly, under glass. Maybe ask other glass bow builders which red elm they have used. The only real way to tell which one it is is with the botanical names.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2023, 07:30:26 pm »
Ok

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2023, 05:25:42 pm »
We have a few elm varieties here in west KY. But the winged variety is my obvious choice because it is easy to identify, almost unsplitable and grows like a weed. I saw a stave with  a chainsaw, then make any design I want without much concern for grain run out. It just isn't much of a concern.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2023, 03:55:03 pm »
White/American   
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2023, 07:02:30 pm »
Thanks guy's :)

Winged elm it is
sealed the ends with glue
Looks like sapwood and heart wood, is it good out to the bark?
1st log--12" on the small end 15"on the other

2nd log we cut it for a few billets.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2023, 09:47:00 pm »
Sapwood is all I ever used, right under the bark.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2023, 10:21:50 pm »
Thanks pat :D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2023, 09:16:36 am »
Like Pat Sap wood is all I ever use, good looking log, that should make a fine bow. :) don't work it down to close until it has time to dry a bit or clamp it to something as it dries, it will tend to twist and warp if to close to bow size if you don't clamp it to a board or form.  ;)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2023, 09:20:14 am »
 :OK