Author Topic: Does some woods hold heat longer? & bow build  (Read 5579 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Does some woods hold heat longer? & bow build
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2023, 12:58:42 am »
Still pouring the heat to this hickory. This is the strangest bow I’ve ever built. The limbs are turning out thinner than my Osage bow of the same dimensions. Physical mass tells me this should not be. Wood that’s less dense floats higher in the water. Which tells Arvin and the bowyers bible it should take more physical mass  than Osage. But it seams to be coming out less. I don’t get it. What is the heat doing to this  hickory to make this happen???? Wood has sap . Least I’m going to call it that. Could it be sap is turning liquid during the heat process then when it cools filling the voids in the cells. Then cooling like roofing tar? This is  Weird like those people in Austin Tx.🤠🤠🤠
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2023, 01:12:27 am »
This is very interesting Arvin...you're sure making it sound like the whole "firehardening" thing could be true.  I'm sure looking forward to the finished product.   :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline superdav95

« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2023, 01:48:09 am »
Still pouring the heat to this hickory. This is the strangest bow I’ve ever built. The limbs are turning out thinner than my Osage bow of the same dimensions. Physical mass tells me this should not be. Wood that’s less dense floats higher in the water. Which tells Arvin and the bowyers bible it should take more physical mass  than Osage. But it seams to be coming out less. I don’t get it. What is the heat doing to this  hickory to make this happen???? Wood has sap . Least I’m going to call it that. Could it be sap is turning liquid during the heat process then when it cools filling the voids in the cells. Then cooling like roofing tar? This is  Weird like those people in Austin Tx.🤠🤠🤠

The beauty of fire hardening white woods.  Lignins and pectins in the wood harden up and make the wood less likley to take on moisture.  You will have noticed perhaps that when you pulled the bow off the caul the clamps were loose.  The bow wood cells shrink and condense in size some in addition to the lignins and pectins hardening.   
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2023, 02:05:35 am »
Bob it’s coming along. I’ve had it to 20” but I got the ends to thin and they want to pull out so I might not hit 50#. I still have more to pull off the inner limbs so hopefully the ends will be ok. I. Wanted to test this bow to the same design Of Osage 47@28”,

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2023, 02:08:56 am »
I certainly hope it makes your draw weight... it's my hunting draw weight and I have a stave to try if it works.  :)   :OK

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2023, 02:14:20 am »
I have stacked shims high enough to get my fat fingers under the back. When I did the last heat after removing wood from the belly I can feel the back getting warm. Not hot but warm. So it’s starting to cook al the way through.

Offline M2A

« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2023, 08:14:02 am »
Enjoying following along on this post, good read. Thanks for taking the time! In My limited experience good hickory takes 3+ times the heat as the best locust I have worked. Bow is looking very good. looking forward to what you finish up with.
Mike 

Offline superdav95

« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2023, 11:17:47 am »
You could put some non flammable fabric or insulation between your shims along the back between your caul and back of your bow. This will help prevent heat to wrap around onto the back.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2023, 11:50:24 am »
Dave I think it’s heat radiating thru the wood in this case. I moving the gun like I use to see Gary Davis do it at the classic.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2023, 04:03:05 pm »
 Ok not finished with the bow. But here is some test results. 1-1/4” set through out the limbs.47@28” shot 175 with 10gpp. Shot the best Broadhead flight arrow 200yds. Dave I need to take the superdave school of tillering. Good bow. 24.9 Ioz but I still have one more oz coming out in handle. Now if you are paying attention to the pic of my tillering board and see the force draw curve in two inch increments you will know what a fifty pound Osage bow can do with 462 gr broadhead arrow. 239 yds. That bow is traced out on the cut outs . Strung and unstrung. No secrets hear guys . Build a better force draw and records are there to be had. Go for it Bob the hickory will definitely compete with Osage.  Dave my  lost yardages came from set which you can see while the bow sets on tiller tree.  That changed my pounds on the force draw curve in the first half of the draw. Strung it weighed in at 10” of draw at 9.4 pounds instead of 12 pounds. That’s what set does to a bow. Arvin

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2023, 04:06:38 pm »
Pic of bow on tillering board.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2023, 04:11:43 pm »
Strung

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2023, 04:13:19 pm »
It looks like it's almost ready to hunt Arvin.  Thanks for doing this.  Once Dave posts his how to on hardening white woods, I will have a hickory stave ready to go.  You two make life a whole lot easier for me... I just have to follow instructions now.  :)   :OK

Offline superdav95

« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2023, 04:23:25 pm »
Ok not finished with the bow. But here is some test results. 1-1/4” set through out the limbs.47@28” shot 175 with 10gpp. Shot the best Broadhead flight arrow 200yds. Dave I need to take the superdave school of tillering. Good bow. 24.9 Ioz but I still have one more oz coming out in handle. Now if you are paying attention to the pic of my tillering board and see the force draw curve in two inch increments you will know what a fifty pound Osage bow can do with 462 gr broadhead arrow. 239 yds. That bow is traced out on the cut outs . Strung and unstrung. No secrets hear guys . Build a better force draw and records are there to be had. Go for it Bob the hickory will definitely compete with Osage.  Dave my  lost yardages came from set which you can see while the bow sets on tiller tree.  That changed my pounds on the force draw curve in the first half of the draw. Strung it weighed in at 10” of draw at 9.4 pounds instead of 12 pounds. That’s what set does to a bow. Arvin

Nice bow and numbers Arvin.  Id hunt with that bow!  A little more set then you wanted I know but I suspect that has more to do with the heat treatment then your tillering.  Your tillering is likley way better then mine on a good day.  I will do a detailed build with hickory shortly and go thru my entire process for deep heat treatment.  I’ll use hot coals or good brickets if it’s easier for everyone.  The brickets last good long time too if good brand used.  I feel a deeper heat treatment can be had with coal bed.  I realize not every one has access to this but if you can do it it’s better in my opinion. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2023, 08:12:32 pm »
Ok I put a coat of true oil on it and heated it one more time . No set! Till I pull it back.🤠🤠🤠