Author Topic: Does some woods hold heat longer? & bow build  (Read 5574 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Does some woods hold heat longer? & bow build
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2023, 08:17:23 pm »
Please c
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2023, 08:18:40 pm »
Pic

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2023, 08:20:24 pm »
It looks great Arvin...even the osage tips.  :)  Maybe the pores were filled with hot tru-oil and they will not collapse after cooling...  (-S
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2023, 10:23:42 pm »
Been silently following along Arvin since I have no hands on experience with hickory, and am still a novice with Osage. I’m very impressed with your results. Thanks for posting so much detail along the way.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2023, 11:12:23 pm »
Finished mass 23.9 oz

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2023, 11:26:06 pm »
so you hit the weight that you wanted, a mass that you predicted, a great speed  at 175fps, a beautiful tiller, and a killer looking profile unstrung, strung, and at full draw... what's not to like?  :)  Wood varies so much that maybe the next one will shoot further and faster...maybe not, but it's still a killer bow.  Thanks!   :OK

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2023, 11:57:45 pm »
Dave I don’t get it. This mass is 1/4 less in size yet it weighs the same as Osage. AND ITS HICKORY . This must be very dense. Where is Badger at?

Offline superdav95

« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2023, 12:25:36 am »
My thinking is that there is still some heat treatment that can be done or should have been done prior to 20” draw.  After about 20” it starts showing signs of set in limbs.  If a deep heat treatment is done prior to this then the cells of the wood are hardened sufficient to better withstand the approaching set generally after 20”.  This is depending on many things like method of tiller and bow design and wood quality.  I’m pretty sure your tiller is spot on and the wood is good so I think there may have been more heat treatment that could have been done perhaps or maybe there are limits to the heat gun or your set up for heat treatment.  On my end here I saw less mass and very little set.  The end result was similar to your bow in style and basic dimensions so the only other reason in my mind would be the heat treatment difference.  In fact I believe if I sent you a heat treated blank you’d likley get better results the I would with it.  With your experience on your design I believe this to be the case.  It’s my feeling it is to be the deciding factor. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2023, 12:31:31 am »
I feel smarter just knowing you two (Arvin and Dave)...  :OK  I think Dave is likely spot on about the difference being the heat treat...that's why I'm really looking forward to his super Dave informative heat treating tutorial.  Maybe we can even get Marc to chime in...?  I miss hearing from you Marc.  Thanks guys...this is good stuff that will help lots of people make better bows.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2023, 10:56:09 am »
Dave have you ever cooked one in a hot box. I have tried Osage this hat way eats ago. Trying to dry green wood with little success. My hot box will maintain about 180-200 degrees. My fear is the back might get to hot. But I could clamp a fire hose between the caul and the bow with maybe just 5-10 pounds or air in it . Trying to protect the back some . 5-7 hours should dry it out I would think.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2023, 11:00:31 am »
I have the belly drops . Maybe I can test moisture on them. One reduced to close to li
B form and one just the drop and see what happens in moisture content.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2023, 12:44:55 pm »
Dave have you ever cooked one in a hot box. I have tried Osage this hat way eats ago. Trying to dry green wood with little success. My hot box will maintain about 180-200 degrees. My fear is the back might get to hot. But I could clamp a fire hose between the caul and the bow with maybe just 5-10 pounds or air in it . Trying to protect the back some . 5-7 hours should dry it out I would think.

I have done hot box but I think I overdid it and couple of my bows exploded.  It may have been coincidental but I wonder if it got too dry and brittle on an already dried piece of wood.  I ended up dismantling it and storing it away to make room for other things. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline willie

« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2023, 06:20:54 pm »
Dave I don’t get it. This mass is 1/4 less in size yet it weighs the same as Osage. AND ITS HICKORY . This must be very dense. Where is Badger at?

Hi Arvin
following the build with interest and want to ask what you mean
This mass is 1/4 less in size yet it weighs the same

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2023, 11:55:01 pm »
Willie the Osage is wider, thicker, and the handle is bigger than the hickory. The bowyers bible state’s the opposite because of mass density. That’s weird. Both 47@28d
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 12:02:17 am by Selfbowman »

Offline willie

« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2023, 04:13:47 am »
oh, a 1/4 inch less in width at the fades, but it looks like you have carried more width further down the limbs with the hickory.

Do you have a dry place to keep it until next Sept?