Author Topic: Heat guns  (Read 507 times)

Offline Muskyman

Heat guns
« on: March 09, 2024, 04:56:57 pm »
Looking at getting a new heat gun for working/heating my bows with and was wondering what temperature you are using on your limbs etc.
I’ve been thinking about this one. I’m going to say it was 69 bucks.

Features precise temperature settings ranging from 125 degree F - 1300 degree F in 10 degree increments
5 fan speeds for optimal air flow control

Offline superdav95

Re: Heat guns
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 06:15:37 pm »
mines a stanley version with knob to adjust for heat.  it has 2 setting for fan control.
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 06:24:28 pm »
Mine is an old Black & Decker I got at a garage sale for $5 about 25 years ago. It has a high and low setting. I use the high setting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 10:02:07 am »
I use a Wagner from Home Depot; the cheapest one they sell. You don't need anything but the high setting, precise heat settings are not necessary, the distance you hold your heat gun from the wood determines the heat setting.

My first Wagner lasted 20 years and only quit after being dropped one too many times, my second lasted about a year but I overheated it by holding the tip too close to the wood during heat treating. #3 seems to be doing OK, only time will tell.

I went to an estate sale last year that had at least 6 heat guns on a table, I picked up a Milwaukie that was built like a tank for $5 to keep as a back-up, it has a very hot high setting. I don't think I will have to buy any more of them.

I made a holster for my heat gun on the edge of my work bench, pretty handy to have while heating and tightening down the clamps on a bow.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 10:05:11 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 10:44:38 am »
Milwaukee with two heat settings  for me. I use the high setting. Had a cheaper version but I like the Milwaukee best. More expensive of course.🤠
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 11:31:39 am »
The one I have is a Wagner. After reading your replies I’ll probably just keep it and spend my money on something else. I like the holster idea Eric. I can never find a spot to set mine down.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 05:06:10 pm »
 I cut a hacksaw blade in half and pop riveted on the gun to rest on the bow while heating the wood. I’m lazy I guess.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2024, 05:11:26 pm »
Pic