Author Topic: Hickory dogbane shorty  (Read 2988 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: Hickory dogbane shorty
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2024, 12:33:40 am »
Well, I repaired the broken backing.  Got one crunchy sound that I think was just excess glue, but fairly smooth sailing since then.

Here it is at 40# on the long string.  Target weight is 55#; I plan to tiller it to 60# then scrape it down a bit.  Hopefully it will stabilize around 50# after it breaks in.

Opinions, please:  I'm seeing that the right limb is a little stiff.  Left limb had a bit of a hinge just off the fade, but it's looking better and curving more evenly now.  What say you?

Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline superdav95

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2024, 02:00:45 am »
Well, I repaired the broken backing.  Got one crunchy sound that I think was just excess glue, but fairly smooth sailing since then.

Here it is at 40# on the long string.  Target weight is 55#; I plan to tiller it to 60# then scrape it down a bit.  Hopefully it will stabilize around 50# after it breaks in.

Opinions, please:  I'm seeing that the right limb is a little stiff.  Left limb had a bit of a hinge just off the fade, but it's looking better and curving more evenly now.  What say you?

Yes I would agree with that.  Some scrapes off right limb and see where you are at then.  Maybe little mid limb scrapes on the left one too.   Looking good though.  Be interesting to see how that backing holds up for ya this time. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2024, 10:28:41 pm »
Moved the tillering tree inside the garage and attached it to studs with 4" screws, instead of just into the side of the house.  It occurred to me the other day that if it popped loose at 50# of draw, it was going to hurt, and possibly make my face look even worse than it already does.

Got the thing to about 45# and the bends are looking decent, before it made another scary crunch sound.  No visible tears in the back, but I think it popped loose in one spot.  Maybe I missed a spot degreasing?  I don't know.  It's about the same place that it broke before, so maybe it just isn't connected down there.  Watch this and see what you think.

https://youtu.be/rlt-TBpWSDA
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline superdav95

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2024, 12:21:45 am »
I think your assessment is correct.  The sounds difference is pretty evident something came delam under there.  It’s looking great though.  How are you glueing this down?  Are you using hide glue and what strength. Also are you ensuring a good size coats are done prior to adding the backing fibers.  I’m saying this as I’m assuming you would do the same size coats for dogbane fibres as you would with sinew fibres.  I size coat with very thing watery hide glue till it gets shiny when dry. Sometimes depending on the core and how pourus it may be this could take several thin coats to sink in deep into wood core.  This helps immensely with adhesion of backings like fibers.  Just a thought.   

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2024, 12:46:53 am »
I think your assessment is correct.  The sounds difference is pretty evident something came delam under there.  It’s looking great though.  How are you glueing this down?  Are you using hide glue and what strength. Also are you ensuring a good size coats are done prior to adding the backing fibers.  I’m saying this as I’m assuming you would do the same size coats for dogbane fibres as you would with sinew fibres.  I size coat with very thing watery hide glue till it gets shiny when dry. Sometimes depending on the core and how pourus it may be this could take several thin coats to sink in deep into wood core.  This helps immensely with adhesion of backings like fibers.  Just a thought.   
Yep, I used hide glue.  Not sure how to explain what strength...I try to mix it about as thick as pancake syrup.  I did size the back with a single layer of glue; made it nice and glossy.

Here's what I think might have happened.  The first time I started bending it, the backing broke.  I suspect I had a seam in the same place on both layers and that's why it broke.  (that's just a guess)  Whatever the case, when it broke I think it delaminated for a few inches.  Gluing a couple layers over it fixed the break, but didn't fix the delamination.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 12:55:31 am by WhistlingBadger »
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline superdav95

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2024, 12:59:01 am »
Ah yes.  Makes sense. 

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2024, 01:01:26 am »
You know, I shouldn't have posted about this in two different threads.  Thanks for responding to both.  ha ha
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2024, 10:57:30 pm »
Well, got this beast back on the tree today.  Had a hinge developing where I put the patch, so did some work around that.  Had a few crunch sounds early on; hopefully just glue cracking.  Was about to string it up for the first time when one of the antler tips popped off.  Glued it back on with some TB3; will string it up tomorrow.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2024, 09:57:05 am »
Glue may not be dry enough.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2024, 10:06:13 am »
Well, I got it braced and it looked really nice, but the glue delaminated in the same spot again. 

Glue may not be dry enough.
On the tips, you mean?  The bottle says you can stress joints after 24 hours.  Or do you mean the hide glue?  I figured two weeks was plenty of time here in dry Wyoming.

Anyway.  Might put this away and work on something else for a while...
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour