Author Topic: Starting Small (finished Firewood pictures)  (Read 6917 times)

Offline bentstick54

Re: Starting Small (finished Firewood pictures)
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2024, 01:48:38 am »
I haven’t been on site much lately, have lots going on. Sat down for a few and just read through your whole post Brian. It’s great of you to take the time to share your experiments with us. I have definitely learned a lot, gained a lot of confidence in working wood I would have trashed before. Your lesssons should really help any new bowyers get over any fear they may have in getting started.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2024, 02:53:24 am »
Nice job.

Offline Zugul

« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2024, 10:40:21 am »
that's some lovely firewood! very well done sir, this thread shows you can make fine bows with a lot less wood then what you'd think.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2024, 02:37:11 pm »
That's some beautiful work.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Will B

« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2024, 08:15:48 am »
Those are two beauties BJ. Thanks for posting them.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2024, 05:31:09 pm »
They look great to me Brian. I’ve been busy building a shed for my wife and haven’t had time to work on anything else lately but, I’m getting close with having it finished. Hopefully I’ll get back to doing something fun soon. Love this thread. Definitely got me to thinking about some of the staves I had given up on. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks everyone who has read this thread. Especially those that take a chance on a piece of scrap. Or find something in a piece of wood that you weren’t seeing before. The ones that play with it.

Sometimes for me. The very hardest part is just looking at a stave that still needs the bark and sapwood removed and just plain getting started. It always looks like so much work. Totally overwhelming. Until you clean up that back and chase a ring. Make a perfect belly split and get it closer to bow dimensions.

It gets so much easier when you can see the bow.

Bjrogg

PS muskyman great idea building a shed for your wife. That way she won’t be putting stuff in yours. And if you don’t have one. Well it’s a pretty convincing argument that you need one to
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 05:34:10 pm by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zugul

« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2024, 02:30:58 pm »
for me is pretty much the opposite, it's easy to do the rough work at the start but as soon sa I have to trace the bow on the stave it becomes incredibly hard, the fear of failure almost paralyzes me  :-[

Offline Muskyman

« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2024, 11:19:04 pm »
Actually Brian, I built one 2 years ago for (us) and I kinda took it over with my bow staves and other bow making/ flint knapping/ knife making///stuff. She kind of mentioned it last winter and I promised her I’d build her one. And now I’m finishing up a 12 x 18 shed for her. Then it’s back to finishing up a few bows and starting some new ones  :BB