Author Topic: yew stave split for 2 lighter weight bows for local youth group prize and raffle  (Read 2572 times)

Offline superdav95

Looking good Dave, they are coming along nicely. :)
 Pappy

thanks Pappy! 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

Little update on these little bows. I did some work on the tiller tree and think i got the bend pretty even for low brace.  from what i see i need a little more bending on my outters yet but it coming along.  lots of character in this piece and little knots.  ill have to keep an eye on these as i get bending more.  Ive saturated with some thin ca glue and will repeat as needed.  ill throw on some nocks and get a string on it and proceed from there.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 11:10:28 pm by superdav95 »

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline razorbak

Dang that is so cool. Well done sir

Offline superdav95

Dang that is so cool. Well done sir

thanks Art!  hope it survives. it should be a pretty little bow if it does.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline razorbak

With your skills it will survive and then some!  Gonna make a sweet shooting bow that’s for sure

Offline Hamish

Got to agree with the comments. Dave you are not just a bow making machine, you are a high quality bow making machine. Very impressed by your efforts and how fast you can work.

Offline superdav95

Thanks guys much appreciated.  I have not had any time to do anything on it today unfortunately.  Ive been on the road most of the day today.  I want to get back at it tomorrow and get some knocks glued on.  Will post more updates then.  Thanks for following along.   

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

Ive been crazy busy with life stuff getting in the way of what id rather be doing.  I finally got some time to finish geting this bow braced and nocks put on.  I went with slightly different style nocks then im used to as i was trying to use up a couple thin strips of buffalo horn pieces up.  seemed to go well and the bow shot very well and quite snappy.  I have no idea yet of actual poundage.  Ive misplaced my digital bow scale in my messy garage!  Ill find it and get some numbers up here soon.  it feels little heavier then the target of 45lbs.  probably closer to 50 plus maybe.  it shoots quite snappy anyway.  I have not backed this one yet and im thinking i should just as a protection against folks bangning it around and such.  I also went with a slightly different shaped handle to try out.  I realy like it.  I basically just kept filing away till my hand felt comfy.  Its got a 1/8" positive tiller and its dimensions are, 62.5" ntn.  1 5/8" out of fades narrowing to about 1 1/4" about 3/4's the way up the limbs to then narrow to 3/8-1/2" at the tips.  I had some twist to heat out after the flipped tips were put in. all and all so far I only see about 1/2" of set.  still a little more sanding to do yet and finish it up once i find my scale and get to the poundage i want.    Im was going to leave the handle bare but wonder if most folks would want and leather wrap.  whats your feeling on this guys?  should i also do a raw hide backing too.  Also what poundage would you recommend for a charity raffle??? let me know what you think.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 05:47:51 pm by superdav95 »

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Will B

Beautiful job on both of those bows, Dave.  Those kids are gonna be excited about the chance to take one of them home. Well done sir!!

Offline superdav95

Thanks Will!   

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline razorbak

Absolutely amazing!! You are a master

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
I always enjoy seeing your work, Dave.  I hope some kid appreciates how lucky they are to get one of these.  I'm working on a kid's bow right now, a juniper-sinew, and I know it's going to hurt to give it away.  Fortunately it's too short and light for me to shoot anyway, so that will help.  :)  I think a whitewood or bamboo bow would be a better gift for a kid, just because white woods are so much more durable than juniper or yew.

A thought about decorating:  I happen to know that many girls love Celtic knot work or elvish leafy stuff on the back of a bow.  Earth-tone acrylic markers (search on Amazon) are a great way to apply such designs.

For the contest, I like the idea of giving kids a ticket for each bullseye they hit.  Another idea:  There's an archery range at a camp we teach at every summer.  They just score each kid's best three shots.  If you want to just award it based on potential skill, that might be a simple way to go.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 10:54:48 am by WhistlingBadger »
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Selfbowman

Looking good Dave! I like it!
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline superdav95

Absolutely amazing!! You are a master

Thanks razorbak!

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline superdav95

I always enjoy seeing your work, Dave.  I hope some kid appreciates how lucky they are to get one of these.  I'm working on a kid's bow right now, a juniper-sinew, and I know it's going to hurt to give it away.  Fortunately it's too short and light for me to shoot anyway, so that will help.  :)  I think a whitewood or bamboo bow would be a better gift for a kid, just because white woods are so much more durable than juniper or yew.

A thought about decorating:  I happen to know that many girls love Celtic knot work or elvish leafy stuff on the back of a bow.  Earth-tone acrylic markers (search on Amazon) are a great way to apply such designs.

For the contest, I like the idea of giving kids a ticket for each bullseye they hit.  Another idea:  There's an archery range at a camp we teach at every summer.  They just score each kid's best three shots.  If you want to just award it based on potential skill, that might be a simple way to go.

Thanks for those suggestions WB!  I like that idea of best three shots.  I am willing a a couple bamboo bows now as well in case I feel like this bow make be a little too much to maintain or appreciate.  The boo bows are pretty tough and resilient and easy to repair if needed.  I like the decoration idea too.  The scouts theme for the boys camp fleur de lis sympol.  I’ve been asked to do the YM camp also so double the bows!   Will be a busy summer but should be a blast.  I’ll take some pictures.   

superdav95@gmail.com