Author Topic: Elm elb 2 (repair possible?)  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Elm elb 2 (repair possible?)
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2024, 05:02:07 am »
Still looks like there is black manky stuff there. I've generally found you need to take off more than you think.
Try it and see, its how we learn... one big patch, multiple patches, a square ended patch and than a thinner one over that... who knows.
Go with what feels right to you. If it fails, try to work out why. If it works, rejoice!
You point about getting glue into the split is excellent, and is the biggest problem. Sometimes its better to plit it right out and the glue the halves back together, like this one, which ended up as a decent bow:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0DxAZGxz2M
Del
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 05:05:15 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2024, 06:54:54 am »
As Del says, and Godspeed!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Calios

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2024, 08:09:30 am »
What is still blackish material in the photos were some hollow spots left by the brittle wood Ive removed. I ve then filled them with glue and wood elm dust along with the crack, which is still visible but managed, as I could, to make the glue get in there. I was dubious about splitting it open. Would you suggest to be better removing more wood and go a little deeper? I hope to be as precise in making the patches, thank you for your time

Offline organic_archer

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2024, 10:47:58 am »
The patch looks like more work than starting over to me, but to each their own. I could never fully trust a bow that's this badly broke and would be waiting for it to clobber me in the head every time it was drawn.
Owner
Organic Archery
Hand-Crafted Longbows & Wooden Arrows

Offline bassman211

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2024, 10:56:27 pm »
I would just make a shorter horse style bow out if it, and move on to another stave.