Author Topic: Deflexed yew stave - ideas for design?  (Read 791 times)

Offline Aksel

Deflexed yew stave - ideas for design?
« on: April 19, 2024, 05:29:28 pm »
Hi all

I have a yew stave about 68" long. It´s deflexed about 2 1/4 ". It is only 1" thick but very dense and tight ringed, well aged Swiss yew.

Such a nice piece of wood but the deflex + the lack of thickness makes me unsure what to do with it, so if anybody got an interesting idea let us know!
Stoneagebows

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Deflexed yew stave - ideas for design?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 07:30:49 pm »
Depending where the deflex is you could reflex or recurve the outer limbs. Will you post a pic of the deflex.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2024, 07:20:54 am »
ELB with reflex added  to outer 1/3, or flipped tips.
I have a big deflex English Yew stave that I'm thinking of making into a 120# Warbow with some reflex at the ends. Some of the Mary Rose bows had reflexed ends... but hard to know if that was due to being under the mud for so long...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Aksel

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 09:01:09 am »
Here it is Pat, quite evenly deflexed, a bit more on one side though.

I realise I will have to reflex some part of it. One of my favourite bows is a 59" bend in the handle deflexed bow with flipped tips with flat cross section.  One option is to see if I can improve that design.

Del, looking forward seeing you build that bow! I´m considering an ELB but also thinking if I should try something I´ve never tried before.

any suggestions welcome!
Stoneagebows

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2024, 10:56:55 am »
Nice stave, only a slight deflex...That'll look gorgeous kept wide with both heart and sapwood showing on the belly :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2024, 12:05:57 pm »
Haven’t worked with yew much but I would reflex the ends to one inch in front of the back of the handle.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2024, 10:47:29 pm »
is yew and sinew a good combo?

leave belly as is and tiller back/sapwood, then add sinew and let dry while pulled into reflex
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 11:38:18 pm by willie »

Offline Aksel

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2024, 09:19:00 am »
Nice stave, only a slight deflex...That'll look gorgeous kept wide with both heart and sapwood showing on the belly :)
Del

Yes the heart wood on this yew is very dark red so should look very nice. Only issue is the thickness of 1 inch.. Can still be made stiff though if not too narrow.
Stoneagebows

Offline Aksel

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2024, 09:21:30 am »
Haven’t worked with yew much but I would reflex the ends to one inch in front of the back of the handle.

Would you do that with dry heat on 12 year old well dried yew?

« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 01:22:40 pm by Aksel »
Stoneagebows

Offline Aksel

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2024, 09:22:44 am »
is yew and sinew a good combo?

leave belly as is and tiller back/sapwood, then add sinew and let dry while pulled into reflex

interesting idea, but I´ve never used sinew so I am not going to try it on this :)
Stoneagebows

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2024, 09:40:47 am »

Would you do that with dry heat on 12 year old well dried yew?

Like I said I haven’t done that many yew bows so not sure to use dry heat or steam. On Osage yes.
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Aksel

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2024, 08:55:18 am »
I started reducing the stave and found a huge check running along half the stave. After prying that off the stave is now 1,3 ” wide so something longbow-like with reflexed tips looking most likely
Stoneagebows

Offline superdav95

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2024, 10:09:06 am »
Still lots of room for a great bow there.  I’m just finishing up a little bow now that’s similar dimensions width wise and it pulls plenty hard and shoots well.  Yew sometimes gets a bad rap for being tricky to get right.  I think most of the issues likely arise from overheating on corrections.  Respecting the wood and dealing with knots is another thing too.  Delta has a number of great video tutorials on this.  I’ve come to love yew.  It’s magical stuff.  Best of luck with your build.  Looking forward to more
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline Aksel

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2024, 09:29:16 am »
Superdave95, I saw your post, beautiful bows! But i dont have 1 5/8" but only 1 1/4 and 1" thick so perhaps slightly too little room for a flatbow.

Agree about yew though. Magical stuff. Will be carefull with corrections !
Stoneagebows