Author Topic: Juniper-sinew kid's bow  (Read 240 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Juniper-sinew kid's bow
« on: April 25, 2024, 12:05:20 am »
Finished tillering.  I made this bow for my hunting buddy's kindergarten boy, from a scrap of Rocky mountain juniper I had lying around in the shop. Backed with bison sinew, with elk antler tips. Draws 10 pounds at 18 inches: A mammoth killer for sure!  ;D  First arrow through a new bow is always fun.

Juniper wood is such a joy to work with. It's so soft it's almost like carving chalk (I usually work with hickory), it makes the shop smell absolutely wonderful, and the heartwood has an absolutely stunning, purple-red grain. I'll post some closeups once I get it sanded and oiled. Hoping to find a nice snake skin to cover up the sinew, too. Anyway, here it is.
https://youtu.be/019DMUSTA6M?si=0dmSCP7UPhM6BDi2
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Juniper-sinew kid's bow
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2024, 08:14:07 am »
I always enjoy making kids bows. I think everything about them is fun.

Including shooting them

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Will B

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2024, 12:31:30 pm »
Very nice kids bow!  He’s gonna love it. I have made and given away a number of kids bows and it is such a joy to see them shoot them. Great job!

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2024, 11:06:33 pm »
Thanks, guys.  Yeah, it's been a lot of fun.  I really want to try another juniper-sinew hunting bow, but the last one broke.  So I decided to build a little one out of this scrap, just to try and get a little bit better at the techniques. 

Getting on with the finish work.  Elk antler tips.  I plan on smoothing down the sinew with a bit of warm hide glue soon.  The grain on this stuff is unreal.  Should be even prettier once I oil it.

Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour