Author Topic: Cutting and sealing hickory  (Read 706 times)

Offline bentstick54

Cutting and sealing hickory
« on: May 25, 2024, 05:36:50 pm »
If I cut some 6” to 10” hickory fully leafed out in June with temps in the 90 to 100 degree range and 50 to 90% humidity, and split into quarters and peel the bark the same or next day, do I need to seal the backs, or just the ends? I’ve never worked with hickory before.

Offline bentstick54

Re: Cutting and sealing hickory
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2024, 05:42:26 pm »
Or is there too much moisture in the sapwood to seal immediately?

Offline Piddler

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2024, 07:18:14 pm »
Lots know more than me and may have better advice but if the bark comes off it needs to be sealed pretty quickly as well as ends and down the side for 3 or 4 inches.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline Hamish

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2024, 08:08:05 pm »
If I cut some 6” to 10” hickory fully leafed out in June with temps in the 90 to 100 degree range and 50 to 90% humidity, and split into quarters and peel the bark the same or next day, do I need to seal the backs, or just the ends? I’ve never worked with hickory before.

Absolutely seal the back of hickory. It's one of the white woods that will check badly as it dries, especially if left as quarters from a large log.

Offline superdav95

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2024, 10:54:46 pm »

Absolutely seal the back of hickory. It's one of the white woods that will check badly as it dries, especially if left as quarters from a large log.

What hamish said.  I usually do 12-16 staves at a time and seal up end and back as soon as I slip the bark off.  Basically I cut split debark and seal all with in few hours. 
Sticks and stones and other poky stabby things.

superdav95@gmail.com

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2024, 11:25:13 pm »
Thanks guys. That’s what I was figuring, but nice to know for sure so I know not to cut more than I can handle.

Offline Will B

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2024, 08:43:13 am »
I agree with Hamish. I always put a second coat of shellac on the back and ends on hickory due to the amount of moisture in the sapwood.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2024, 12:03:08 pm »
Any exposed stave back should be sealed whether it is well seasoned or fresh. And as said above shellac is my choice because it is easily removed later without damaging the pristine, exposed back. I keep a can of spray shellac on my work bench all the time for convenience.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2024, 09:32:03 am »
I always seal the backs and ends of spring or early summer cut hickory, wipe them down good to get as much of the moisture off , also try and keep the out of the sun and in as cool a place as I can. They will check pretty quick if you don't. I usually put 1 coat on, let it dry and then another. I use slightly watered down wood glue.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2024, 10:25:01 am »
Thanks everyone. That’s what I figured but was wondering about to much moisture on the surface for a sealer to stick and dry. I never would have thought to take a rag to wipe off excessive moisture on the surface before applying sealer like Pappy suggested.

Offline willie

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2024, 07:43:00 pm »
and down the side for 3 or 4 inches.
Piddler

yes, the entirer end for 3-4 inches with the white woods here  (birch)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 02:57:34 pm by willie »