Author Topic: Thinking of quiting my day job.  (Read 12953 times)

Offline Apex Predator

Thinking of quiting my day job.
« on: May 30, 2008, 11:26:06 am »
I was hesitant about posting this over here, where I know there are many of you that are living my dream, but I think it will be received well due to the caliber of people in this community. 

I have a dream of building bows and selling them out of my home. The freedom of working my own schedule is very appealing to me. I still have a ways to go before my bows satisfy me, and would be something I would be proud of selling. I am making good progress in my learning curve though. I am blessed in that I have a steady pension check from Uncle Sam in payback for all my years in the Navy. I would have to build a shop and buy new tools. My overhead would be small, and I don't figure I would have to build many to pay my bills. I can build one a week in a corner of my garge. A new shop and real tools would really help things along. I really enjoy working with the bamboo backed bows, and would probably stay away from the glass market. I think the bamboo backed market is smaller, but could keep me busy. What kind of insurance would I need for something like this. Help me to realize a dream folks. I figure you folks will give me the most valuable advice. All suggestions welcome. Thanks for listening, Marty

"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"

Offline adb

Re: Thinking of quiting my day job.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 11:37:35 am »
Hey, Marty
I have a similar dream, as I'm sure others can attest. I've been in a medical profession for the past 22 years, and it losing some of it's luster. Doing my own thing seems very appealing. I already have a 600 sq ft shop out the back (which we currently rent to an electrician), so space isn't a problem. If I was you, I'd get some solid legal advice... especially regarding liability. Set up your business in a LLC fashion. My advice? Go for it. However, don't let your hobby become a drag! If you're as passionate about archery as most folks on this forum, you should be OK!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 11:38:53 am »
Are you planning on just building and selling Bows...or are you going to give Shooting lessons andhave an Indoor Range for Shooting?? The Reason I ask....If you are offering things that can cause Bodily Harm...chances are that your State will require the You carry a Million Dollar Insurance Policy...it does here in Texas
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 12:03:06 pm »
Just building and selling.
"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"

radius

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 12:03:34 pm »
you and me both, buddy

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 12:30:55 pm »
Marty I was in a similar situation ten years ago. I was a scientist and I am now a writer and photographer working for myself. I can tell you with absolute certainty that my career switch was the right thing for me. Everything seems to fall in place when you are true to yourself. If you love making bows, go for it with all you got man!
Dave
NW Montana

Phillip K

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 02:15:36 pm »
More Power to you, Dreams are what keep this dude going, Being on the poor list Makes it harder for most folks but, good luck to you, PK

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 02:17:20 pm »
   I have a similar goal. But mine is to have a coffee shop where people build their own bows. Calling it the
  " The Bowyers Bar" . Lockers for the guys to keep a stave and some tools, shooting range, books, tools, videos for sale besides coffee and snacks. Online video camera out on the bow building area for anyone online to view at any time. No power tools vailable to the public. I would rough out staves in a seperate isolated part of the shop. Steve

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 05:07:14 pm »
As adb3112 said, just check some legal advice on what you'll have to do to get started all legit-like. After that it's all fun and games. As for insuring, just have a little pragraph that says upon purchasing the bow, you acknowledge the fact that this bow has a given draw legnth and can't be abused, and that they can't hold you responsible for snapping it. Maybe a repair policy to ease them.

Then you can sell some to a couple die-hard hunters and have pictures to prive they work. We all like pictures ;D.

My father went into business with a friend of his, or they're starting. Wasn't that hard. (Oh, but look into advertising. It seems to help :D).

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 06:04:26 pm »
MAn I'd love to do that myself. I've had people ask me about makin them bows but have been afraid too because of liabilities. If you get any info on that would you plz post so we all know the facts about it.
Wayne Silverthorn

Offline horseapple

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 06:50:15 pm »
Marty, first off you need to applly for a federal tax ID number, then a state tax number. It is a law that you cannot sell new bows without the Fed ID. New bows and arrows fall under the Pittman-Robertson Act...http://ipl.unm.edu/cwl/fedbook/pract.html
check link posted above. I'm not trying to discourage you but making a living selling all wood bows is not easy, I know alot of bowyers that started out building self and bamboo bows but because of the nature of natural materails failing over a time most went to the dark side and started building GLASSBOWS :)  I've been building and sellng bows since 1990 and believe me its a challenge, the best thing or advise that i can give you is to go to some big shoots and pay extra attention to the all wood bow guys, also don't be afraid to experiment with new designs and things that are different and eye catching, attention to detail is a must. Good luck my friend.

Joe Don

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 07:23:27 pm »
  I say go for it. People have followed their dreams and suceeded and failed. If it doesn't work then learn from your mistakes and try something different. I've always wanted a laundromat/bar, where you leave your clothes to be washed. You sit at the bar while your clothes are washed. You get to watch the girls, Hooter type, topless do your clothes while you drink. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Dano

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 07:24:25 pm »
Joe Don would be the man I would ask for advice on getting started, check out his site.
http :// myweb.cableone.net/selfbows/phoenix_curve.htm
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 01:05:07 am by Justin Snyder »
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 07:53:24 pm »
i too have a dream... but it is a bowyers bar/herb shop/natural food store and microbrewery where i make up my own brews.. like mead, wine, beer, ale and even my secret recipe white lightnin.... but something like that is a long way off.... im only 21..lol ;D :( ::)
death by natural causes

radius

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 08:04:37 pm »
well, congratulate me, boys!  The local hunting shop has agreed to buy 2 of my bows and carry 6 more on consignment...it's a beautiful beginning!