Author Topic: Thumb Ring  (Read 5202 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Thumb Ring
« on: June 12, 2008, 01:09:34 am »
Justin sent me some cow and Am. Bison horns a while back and lately I've been thinking about making a thumb ring. I asked James(robustus) to draw an outline on the cow horn for me when we were at Hickory. Well, a few days ago I began work on it and this is what I came up with.
   The thumb hole in a thumb ring is oval, not round. You slip your thumb in the oval shaped hole and twist the ring so the "tongue" of the ring lays over the thumb. By twisting the ring you lock it onto your thumb so it doesn't come off during the shot. Well, when all done, I realized the oval was going the wrong way so if I used this thumb ring it would pull off the thumb when shot. The oval should go up and down, not horizontal. ::)
   I feel good about the results, otherwise, so I'll try again using this one as a sample and example.   Here are some pics.....

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Thumb Ring
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 01:49:31 am »
Glad to see your finally using that stuff.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 05:29:50 pm »
I've used your horn for overlays but I guess I never gave you credit. :o :-*    I'm still thinking on the sandstone. ???  Its a porch decoration for now! 8)        Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 05:51:32 pm »
Pat.. ya dont need to make a new one,, just put it in some hot water and change the oval around  ;)
Mililani Hawaii

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 06:47:12 pm »
  Yea, Jesse beat me to it. It will get soft. I'll see if I can get a picture up of the one I made.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 07:00:36 pm »
  Here's the one I made. I think I need to thin it a little more. I'm getting a slapping noise when I shoot.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 01:06:59 am »
Nice Eddie. Buff horn?      I need to get the size down a bit and I'll try boiling this one. Now all I need is a bow to shoot with it! ;D    Pat.

Offline david w.

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 12:50:02 pm »
so a thumb ring is like a primitive release?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 12:55:23 pm »
Yes David. The thumb ring (and thumb  ;D ) hooks behind the string and the middle finger hooks over the thumb. This is with the arrow on the right side of the bow instead of the left(for rt handed). When ready to release, you lift to middle finger and the string slips off the thumb ring. Makes for a very clean release. This was primarily used by some Asian and Middle Eastern archers, primarily horse archers I believe.     Pat

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 11:46:19 pm »
thats pretty neat fellers..could you get a picture of you using it in your draw? that would be cool
Modern Day Tramp