Author Topic: a little scared  (Read 3401 times)

a finnish native

a little scared
« on: June 17, 2008, 12:16:58 pm »
Well fellers, I have been working on this bow for ages. (maybe 4 months). It's now close to being finished. It truly is the most challenging piece of wood that I have come by. And I'm selling it to a guy down south, so I want it to turn out real good. The right limb (upper) in the tiller pic is a bit confusing, because it still has bumps after steaming, so the tiller looks like it wouldn't be even.
a tiny splinter rose from near the knot in the right limb, so I wrapped it with sinew and epoxy. And one more thing: every once in a while I hear this "click" when I'm bracing the bow, but after carefull analysis I can find no splinters what so ever, and the bow holds in draw also.
I want it to be 50#@26" its 60" NTN

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: a little scared
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:24:23 pm »
Tiller looks pretty good to me,I don't want to upset you but with the experience I have
had with a tick while bracing or any other time for that matter,it is never a good thing.I would
be sure and shoot it a bunch before I sent it out.Was the noise there before you rapped the knot,sometimes they make noise,at least when you first brace or draw them. ???
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

a finnish native

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 12:27:47 pm »
yeah, the noise was before I wrapped it, and I hope it dissapears now that I found that tiny splinter. the thing is that it clicked many times (like 3), and it still held fine  :-\
I found the splinter after it ticked while drawing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 12:39:02 pm »
I have had them do that before,but they have always done something bad after a short while.
Good luck it may be something that won't cause the bow to blow,just with me they always do,sooner or later,usually sooner if I don't find it and get it fixed. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 12:44:04 pm »
What Pappy said. I don't sell bows but I wouldn't sell that one for sure. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

a finnish native

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 01:19:54 pm »
yeah. I think I'll make a new one for him. its just that it will take a long time because i'm going to work to Norway for a whole month now and I have no staves ready  >:(

Offline Dane

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 10:36:50 pm »
If he understand wood bows, he will be understanding of a delay building him a fine weapon.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts