Author Topic: string length?  (Read 4612 times)

Offline recurve shooter

string length?
« on: June 21, 2008, 03:08:16 pm »
im ordering a new string for my longbow from 3 rivers. how do i know how long i need the string? and what style of string do i need for a 6 and a half foot hickory long drawing at 45 @ 28? thanx for the help.
lets just shoot it

Offline Kegan

Re: string length?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 04:05:56 pm »
They don't sell them that long, at least not as long as you need.

Buy the Dacron and serving from them and make your own. The Marc St. Louis string is really easy and quick to make, and adjustable. Costs less too ;).

Normally, the string is 1-3" shorter, depending on the amount of string follow/reflex, design, hamndle, brace height, etc.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »
ok, cool. thanx. do i need to use dacron or artificial sinue?
lets just shoot it

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 04:39:41 pm »
I've been making Flemish Twist Strings with a Rattail end on one end and a Flemish Loop on the other for 20 years..to me this is the only way to go on a Primitive Bow....you can adjust the Brace Height whenever you want...and when the String Stretches...just take up the Bowyers Knot a bit...and you are good to go.... Marc St. Louis string ...whats that????   ::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 04:40:52 pm »
cool. i have instructions on flimish strings bookmarked. just got to get ahold of some stings.
lets just shoot it

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »
I've been making Flemish Twist Strings with a Rattail end on one end and a Flemish Loop on the other for 20 years..to me this is the only way to go on a Primitive Bow....you can adjust the Brace Height whenever you want...and when the String Stretches...just take up the Bowyers Knot a bit...and you are good to go.... Marc St. Louis string ...whats that????   ::)

Same thing, only the string is  wound up like an endless string, with a served loop on one end (or a bowline knot in my case),  is braided on the opposite end, and it isn't twisted.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 05:28:23 pm »
                                                        OK.....sounds simple enough!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 05:46:18 pm »
 ??? ??? ???

eh, i'll figure it out. thanx for the help guys.
lets just shoot it

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 06:22:19 pm »
??? ??? ???

eh, i'll figure it out. thanx for the help guys.

Its in one of the last few issues of PA. Lots of very helpful pictures.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 06:43:10 am »
Recurve shooter- Search the old posts and I think someone gave a link to a string making tutorial.   You can use artificial sinew as well as the Dacron, but I think that it streches a bit more.  I have made them in the past with the 40# stuff. 
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 11:46:26 am »
There was an article way back in PA that showed how to make strings with artificial sinew. It does stretch more than materials made specifically for strings but with pre stretching it is possible.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 01:47:23 pm »
yeah, i have the tutorial bookmarked. i just got to get some dacron.
lets just shoot it