Author Topic: Handle overlay on bend in handle design?  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Apex Predator

Handle overlay on bend in handle design?
« on: June 24, 2008, 11:56:50 am »
Allright folks, I just can't leave a good thing alone!  I have glued up my first bend in the handle bow.  It will be 62" NTN boo backed ipe that will be 1" wide.  I am really considering glueing on an elk antler grip overlay.  How do you folks think the antler will do with some very slight bending at the glue joint?  Should I shelve this brainstorm?  I already have the piece cut, but still need to sand the concave mating surface.  What ya think?
"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Handle overlay on bend in handle design?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 12:01:57 pm »
If it is a bendy handle bow then nothing rigid will stay glued on. If you want to add an overlay, make it very thin and flexible. If you are trying to fill out the back of the handle for comfort a piece of shoe leather or cork will move with the bow and stay attached.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 12:13:15 pm »
Pat is correct. If it is a true bend in the handle bow, nothing will stay glued on as a riser, unless it's leather or some other flexible material. I've used leather hardened with super glue.

Offline Apex Predator

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 12:56:18 pm »
Thanks guys.  I think I'll just stick with leather for this one.
"I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!"