Author Topic: Red Oak Board bows  (Read 7686 times)

dogface

Red Oak Board bows
« on: June 24, 2008, 08:07:41 pm »
I am building one. I am at the point ware I can brace it. I had a scare when my tillering string broke but the bow made it ok. My limbs are the width they come from home depot with and the bow is around 70 in ntn. I figured it would not be pleasant to shoot and very hand shockish. it is bending in the handle and I am wondering if I will be able to glue a handle on or will it just pop off. Also I was going to use fake sinew and tight bond 3 to back it. I will try and get pictures up so you can see ware I am at, but as far as the backing gos is it likely to work or will it just be a mess ? I am tempted to just go on as the wood only cost $ 6.00. thanks in advance for the info.

Offline Postman

Re: Red Oak Board bows
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 08:17:39 pm »
i'm sure the more experienced guys will chime in, but I think the handle would pop. I'd build the handle up  up with leather, back it,  and let er' rip. It may be harder to shoot, but I bet it improves your shooting!
Good luck,
Postman
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 09:10:06 pm »
If it bends thru the handle....it probably will pop off....if not....you should be ok....
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 09:11:33 pm »
Let your first one bend in the handle. No glued on piece. That stave was a bit heavy to string probably. There are some buildalongs on my site including a board bow buildalong. Do some reading, may be, and check it out. Ask if you don't understand. Jawge
http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 12:49:14 am »
i wouldnt use fakesinew to back it

its just waxed string.i was told one time by the good folks on here that it would be a waste of time.

good luck
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

dogface

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 12:38:59 pm »
I put it on a tillering board and really cant see the bend, only feel it. I am only shooting for a bow that shoots. This is my first "real" primitive bow and this is the farthest I have gotten. I always broke them at this point. It ain't pretty but it is tillered pretty darn good and is even starting to look nice. If all gos well I may try to draw to 26 inches. I have been slowly bending to try and train it to be a bow and so far it looks like all is going well. if this one works I may even name it.

Offline shamus

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 01:00:07 pm »
A glued handle will pop off on a bow like that. You can build up a handle with glued cork sheets (cork will flex) or a cloth/leather wrapping

If the bow has not lifted a splinter, why would you want to back it?. If you want to try sinew: use real sinew and hide glue (or Knox gelatin which also works). If you worried about the bow breaking in tension, you can use canvas.

A tillering tree would be better than a tillering board. In the absence of that, draw back the bow in front of a mirror to see how it bends.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 01:20:43 pm »
If the bow has a skinny handle and and wide limbs, and its bending through the handle, that could be a problem.  You might see a failure in the fade area where the limb gets wider.

I agree that just a handle piece would pop off, but if you also glue a long (12") thin (1/8") piece of wood under the handle to stiffen up the area you would be alright in gluing on your handle piece.  Of course it would require retillering.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 02:12:41 pm »
If it's a true bend through the handle bow, a riser will pop off. I learned that one the hard way, a long time ago! Artificial sinew is just waxed nylon. It will not add any cast to your bow. Actually it will just add extra limb mass, and probably make it a dog. Real sinew, on the other hand, shrinks when it drys, adding reflex and cast. Sinew excels on short bows. If your bow is 70" NTN, sinew probably wouldn't add enough extra zip to make it worth the effort.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 02:55:21 pm »
Pictures will allways help with this kind of questions
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

dogface

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 06:30:52 pm »
I will have to use my phone to do photos. I can e-mail them but dont know how to post them. Can I send them to a non private adress from my phone then get a hand posting them ?

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 09:47:36 pm »
I think that a camera is a great investment if you chose to partecipate and ask bow related questions on this forum
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 10:56:52 pm »
I would wrap the handle with hemp string or jute, that will build it up to fit your hand. backing doesn't have to be sinew, I've backed with denim, silk, grocery bag paper, canvas, hemp cord, birch bark, ect. wouldn't hurt to have some extra insurance on your first few bows until you learn tillering and wood choice.
just take your time. If your design and tiller are good you shouldn't have alot of hand shock.
VB

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 12:03:47 am »
First of all did you tiller it thru the handle? How thick was the board when you started? I have built several board bows with glued on handles and never had a problem. If you reduced the boards thickness thru the handle, then a glued on piece will probably not work. I'm no expert but I know what works for me. Hope this helps.

John
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

dogface

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 02:18:52 pm »
I busted this bow (big suprise). But I was able to make my Son a real nice wood sword out of it so it was not a complete waist of time.