Author Topic: I am spoiled !  (Read 8053 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
I am spoiled !
« on: June 30, 2008, 02:52:39 am »
Guys  I am spoiled .
You may ask why and on what .
I will tell you. Spoiled on Osage, Cedar, and Black locust.
The other day I started a bow out of Maple I got from Dana . That is some hard !@# stuff. I am about ready to make firewood out of that piece. It has been the hardest piece of wood I have ever worked in my short career as a bowyer!!
Sorry for the profanity  ;D
I got so used to how the other woods worked . This must be concrete Maple!!
I love Osage and Cedar. I know how to manipulate it in most every way , But white woods like Maple and Hickory are a  serious headache!
It may be me  ::) , but Osage and Cedar are my 2 top choices.
I do not want to give up on this bow ,but all my tools act like they are dull on this particular piece of wood.
HELP !!
T.J.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline recurve shooter

Re: I am spoiled !
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 03:00:17 am »
lol. have you tried ironwood? (hornbeam)

gives me a hard time. and i agree about ceder. easyest stuff there is to work with.
lets just shoot it

Rich Saffold

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 03:00:43 am »
Nugget, Read what is at the bottom of my post..I have been doing this for a long time, and we aren't there yet..trust me..
Even light woods have great variations in them..As we say "welcome to bowmaking reality" I have heard this from guys twice my age who are now dead...

Never think you are "there'

Rich-not there...

Offline nugget

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 03:09:05 am »
I have not yet tried Iron wood. Got some curing . Might be firewood after this ,but you never know.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline nugget

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 03:17:28 am »
Rich, you put some perspective on it I agree.
I started out with osage and fell in love with it. Some may say it is Hatefull , I disagree ,I say it will let you get away with alot more ( More forgiving )  . Cedar is tempermental , I say you just have to know how to handle it (Soft and slow) .
Maple and hickory? ( A new adventure that has not started out very well at all)

grantmac

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 03:33:06 am »
Just wait until your first run-in with Ipe, your nose and tools won't know what hit them >:D

Rich Saffold

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 03:39:31 am »
Nuggett,I'll be the guy at Mojam cutting up osage and packing it for shipping back to Cal. Grant, I used to hanglide off the park on the Oceanside of Victorial...Last time was in 79...I forget the name.

I will also have some Ipe in trade for those going there..

Rich-flying isn't cheap anymore..

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 03:41:51 am »
   Grant, you will find different tools work with different woods, I use a spokeshave primarily on a lot of white woods. I love to work maple as it is fast and easy with a spokeshave. Much easier to sand than osage as well. Osage I like my drawknife and a rasp. Ipe and a lot of the tropicals I use mostly a rasp and a scraper. They all work easily once you find the right tool. Steve

Badbill

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 11:01:35 am »
My first bow is a big piece of Hickory, and it wore a file I had down to absolutely a bear piece of metal. Where can I get a piece of Ironwood?  I'm a glutton for punishment. ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 12:07:26 pm »
I work with Hickory and IW a lot and never had any problem,I use a farrier's rasp and good sharp scraper no problem,I will admit Osage will spoil you.That is after you get the bark and sap wood off and get a ring chased.Till then I will go with Hickory or IW.  :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

grantmac

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 02:32:29 pm »
Nuggett,I'll be the guy at Mojam cutting up osage and packing it for shipping back to Cal. Grant, I used to hanglide off the park on the Oceanside of Victorial...Last time was in 79...I forget the name.

I will also have some Ipe in trade for those going there..

Rich-flying isn't cheap anymore..

Rich: Dallas road! Still a major spot for Hangliding and Paragliding, we see then all the time when taking the ship in or out of port.

Steve: I'm going to have to try the rasp and scraper approach next time, I wore out a belt on my sander with the last one.
        Cheers,
               Grant

radius

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 02:39:33 pm »
yeah, Rich, we see hangliders, and windsurfers and even para-whatevers out there all the time!

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 03:34:03 pm »
two questions.

1. what is ipe? ???

2. what is a spokeshave?  ??? ???
lets just shoot it

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 04:15:30 pm »
TJ, I know what you mean, once I started using osage my bows improved. With other woods I'm not so hot! ::)  A good rasp and a good scraper, lots of time and patience and a cold one will get you through it.   Make it a challenge and not an effort!  ;)      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nugget

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 04:23:41 pm »
Thanks Pat.

Shooter ,Ipe is a type of wood. A spokeshave is a tool used to scrape wood .