Author Topic: fat bow, wobly arra. can i fix it simply?  (Read 4841 times)

Offline recurve shooter

fat bow, wobly arra. can i fix it simply?
« on: June 30, 2008, 08:08:45 pm »
hiya. my new bow, the first one i made myself, has a nearly 2 inch wide handle. it causes my arra to wobble ALOT out to about 25 yards, where it finally streightens up. how can i fix this without to much risk to my bow? it draws 60 pounds, so i can stand to lose some draw, though prefferably not much. apreciate any help.
lets just shoot it

radius

Re: fat bow, wobly arra. can i fix it simply?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 08:14:46 pm »
the HANDLE is 2 inches wide????  You mean 2 inches thick?  God, if it's 2 inches wide, i'd expect it to fly foul every time...

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 08:35:11 pm »
how do you hold it if its 2" wide, you must have hands like Andre the giant.

if it is that wide i would think youwould need to narrow it some for starters.

ive only made 3 bows so far,but the widest handle has only been about 1"-1 1/8" at the most and that had a shelf cut into to it that would have made it about 3/4" at that point.

good luck,we know you can fix it.

peace,
                                                                                           tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 09:09:09 pm »
More info and pictures would help.  Is the bow thicker in the handle area? If it is you can narrow the handle down to 1" and it will help a lot.  How far you can narrow depends on how thick the handle is as compared to the limbs.  Like I said, if you can post pictures it would help us give better advice without taking any chances.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 09:12:37 pm »
  If you can't post pictures, try how wide is the back, how wide the belly is and how thick it is from the back to the belly. It sounds like you can remove some wood though.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 09:56:55 pm »
yeah, im an idiot. i was paranoid about it breaking. and i do have huge hands.  ;D

still aint comfortable though. in the handle it is still basicly a 1 by 2. dont pick on me. im paranoid. :P like i said i aint got no camera. gotta solve that one day. it tapers a little from the handle to mid limb, just a LITTLE, then tapers form mid limb to a little less than 1 inch nocks.

wow. you know, writeing this out makes me realize someting. this bow is a freakin dinasoar. so i guess i need to thin it down ALOT.

but can i do so safely? like i said, it draws 60, so it can lose alot of draw weight and still be a decent bow. thanx for the help, and try not to laugh at me too much, k?  :P
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 10:05:30 pm »
  Nobody's laughing, most of us has been there without all the extra help. Yea, you can thin it down, especially the 1" tips. If they are that big you were good to have the big handle. Just take your time and go slow and keep checking the Tiller. Don't pull it too far while you are checking the tiller, that sounds like how you keep breaking them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 10:08:40 pm »
Is it a bendy-handled D bow? How long is it? About 1 1/2" is as wide as most people would go on a bendy, non-narrowed handle.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 10:10:58 pm »
yeah, its a bendy handle 71 inch red oak board bow. unbacked. actually shoots pretty fast as is. so how thin should i go with it, being that im a beginner? and yeah, i think i finally learned to be carefull with the tillering stick. thanx for the help guys.
lets just shoot it

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 10:12:46 pm »
Weaker-spined arrows might help, too-that's a lot of paradox around a 2" handle.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 10:16:08 pm »
yeah, i know. im gonna try to take it down some more. gonna do it tomorra. im skeerd though. dont want to take to much off and have it go snap again.
lets just shoot it

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 10:20:39 pm »
How thick is the handle? It's 2 inches wide. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 10:21:48 pm »
What is the thickness of the limbs? What is the thickness of the handle? I would start removing a little at a time just from the arrow pass side.  If you can get it down to 1 1/2" wide in the handle by taking it all off the arrow pass side it will only have the paradox of a 1" wide handle.  Be real carefull and go real slow, watching for any extra flex in the handle.  Go until the handle starts to flex more. I would narrow the tips a lot also.  Ill bet it kicks like a mule with the tips that wide.  

Oh and if you think we are laughing you are wrong.  Ill bet most guys on here could top that story for oversight.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 10:28:59 pm »
lol. thanx guys. i aint got the exact measurments right now, but it is about 2 inches in the handle, a little less than an inch thick, tapers just a tiny bit to mid limb, then narrows from mid limb to the inch knocks.  and yeah, it will rattle yer brain.
lets just shoot it

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 10:36:24 pm »
Im confused..... ???  So it is 2" wide and 1" inch thick at the handle and 1" wide by just less than 1" thick at the tips.  Is that correct?  It seems that it would be a little more than 60#. Justin

SW Utah