Author Topic: Rind on bamboo  (Read 4033 times)

Offline yellow feather

Rind on bamboo
« on: July 02, 2008, 06:36:34 pm »
I bought a peace of bamboo from Rudderbows . My question is , how thick is the rind on bamboo and how can you tell when you have it off? I've used a scrapper on a small peace and I can't tell any diff. other than that it is smoother. Am I missing something here? Does the rind have to come off? ??? David
San Angelo, Texas

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Rind on bamboo
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 06:56:56 pm »
When you get the rind off the color will go from the pale white color to a darker yellow color.  Be carefull not to go to deep as you can cut the power fibers.  You can scrape it down until you have a nice even yellow color.  Try it on the end of a piece and you will see the obvious difference.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline yellow feather

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 07:09:17 pm »
Thanks Justin. I just looked at it again and that test peace looks and feels smoother and is a more even yellow. Is that what you mean? It's more like just smoothing the back up? Because I probably only took off a few thousandths. David
San Angelo, Texas

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 07:50:11 pm »
If its a test piece go ahead and take it down a little more. On a bow I usually go until it is all one even color then stop.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 12:59:37 pm »
I used to scrape my bamboo pretty aggressive, but these days, I'm not. I leave the nodes very proud, basically not touching them at all. I only scrape, or even sand, between nodes, just enough to remove the outer waxy rind on the bamboo. If you don't remove the rind, the bamboo won't take any finish. I don't do much anymore. Go easy with the scraper, as it leaves little marks on the bamboo... potential weak spots.

Offline yellow feather

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 04:11:18 pm »
Thanks for the help..David
San Angelo, Texas

radius

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 12:34:56 am »
somewhere on this forum is a thread where Marc the Master says that he has been taking down the nodes for years...so i copy him, and so far, no troubles.  I scrape the rind off, like the other guys say, and then hit the nodes lightly with a fine file, and then sand the whole thing deadly smooth.  No troubles at all, even on 65# bows...

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 09:28:26 am »
On that little boo backed Ipe I just did I took the nodes down quite a bit. I think it is safe to say the boo on it is under stress.  ;)

SW Utah

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 03:33:04 pm »
Radius, if you sand your nodes smooth you have a dangerous violation going, on a low stess design it might work even on high draw weights but the fibers run straight up almost to the peak of the node, anything off the peak is a violation of the vibers. Maybe just about a 1/32 is safe but anymore than that I wouldn't try.  I have had a few I sanded flat and then overlayed a thin invisble layer of the stuff we can't talk about here. But they were no longer primitive. Steve

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 07:04:23 pm »
ohhh      shame   shame   everybody knows your name name ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 08:15:46 pm »
  Robustusman will tell you about splinters lifting on boo-backed bows after scraping the rind down and leaving marks. I don't scrape it anymore but steelwool it smooth with 0000 and either stain and seal it or just seal it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?