Author Topic: Primitive archery growing in Britian  (Read 140270 times)

Offline markinengland

Primitive archery growing in Britian
« on: July 06, 2008, 06:16:44 am »
Primitive Archery and in particular the Primitive Archery & Atlatl Society is growing in Britian.

We have now got 15 members and even our own teeshirts!

So, what do we do? We are all bow makers, atlatl throwers or otherwise involved in related ancient crafts. We have held public events at Flag Fen and now Butser Ancient Farm. We display the bows and arrows we have made, we work making new gear. The public really enjoy seeing things made and sking questions. We run a have-a-go session for archery and atlatl for a small charge. Quite a few people go away with the intention of starting up archery as a sport for themselves of their kids.

I hope it is OK to post about this recent event here, to help encourage more British Bowyers to join us?

Our events at Flag Fen and Butser ancient farm have been well recieved by both the venue staff and public who met us and had a go. It is amazing to see the positive response so many people have to simple bows and arrows. A real joy to see the enthusiasm of kids young and old when they shoot an arrow for the first time.

Following are some pictures from the Butser event last weekend. It is a really unique venue. It is essentiall a re-creation or reconstruction of an iron age farm. The big round house is quite amazing. I really enjoyed the unique chance to sleep in it.

Hopefully I will post some pics in the next bit.

Mark in England

Offline markinengland

Re: Primitive archery growing in Britian
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 06:21:48 am »
The central feature of the farm is the large roundhouse.

You don't really get an idea of the size until you see it with people.

Here is a closer view of some of our members wearing our new PAAS teeshirts.

We split ourselves into those who were running the have-a-go and those who worked in the craft demonstration area. We changed over from time to time so no one did any one thing for too long.

Here Wally, who missed out on the earlier group picture explains about archery and perhaps his interesting head gear.

Wally is one of our characters who can be relied on to truly get into the spirit of things

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 06:28:53 am by markinengland »

Offline markinengland

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 06:31:39 am »
Here are some of Peter's bows.

Some of Steve's bronze work

An Elm bow I was working on

Offline markinengland

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 06:40:32 am »
Some general shots of the site, buildings etc. We plan on holding another event there later in the year so if you fancy joining in you would be very welcome.

So, if you are within travelling distance of the UK, want to meet up with fellow bowyers, like the unique venue we use and fancy sleeping in a building from the past, and of course are ready to have a good drink and chat around the fire in the evening get in contact, come along and join in.

Hope to see you and spread the fun of primitive archery.

Mark in England.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 09:37:10 am »
Cool ! looks like a lot of fun!  8)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 11:52:11 am »
Very cool, Mark!  The construction method for the building is interesting. Isn't it called waddle and daub(sp) or something like that. And the thatched roof has a nice soft appearance. It all blends in with the surroundings...except for the high tension wires and towers. ;D  Very interesting.   Thanks for sharing. 8)  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DBernier

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 11:57:35 am »
Mark, how do you get the "word" out to the general public that you are doing this sort of demo. You look like you are a bit "in the country". Good job and NEVER let the homeland folks forget their heritage. Long live the long bow.   ;)   Cheers   ;D

Dick

Offline markinengland

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 01:22:31 pm »
Pat,
Yes, I think the walls are basically wattle and daub onto hazel woven wicket. Shame about the few signs on the horison of the modern world.
Dick,
The places who host us do their own publicity via their web sites, local radio and news papers etc. We also publish on our own website. For us it is a chance to get together, sleep in an interesting structure, chat around the camp fire, make some stuff and also expose the public to their archery history. The have a go helps our funds and pays for insurance etc. The centre may get some extra people through the doors. We end up helping them and they help us so it works well.
Mark in England

jape

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 08:29:13 pm »
Please post the link to your website, it is not commercial after all, and do you want just 'participants' or would you accept the support of  'honourary' members who may never get to UK again? Also, if you have a link to Steve's website you could PM me I would be grateful as I believe I once bought a bronze age recreation 'leaf sword' from him and would like to purchase a knife to match it for my collection of nasty sharp objects.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 03:22:24 am »
Hi,  If I ever get to Britian I'll look you folks up   The inside of the round house, very much reminds me of the reconstructed Pawnee earthlodge at Pawnee Village Historical site in Kansas.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 03:49:07 am »

hey mark! -  i'm astounded now: thought that sort of house is what you ALL lived in over there on that little island!!!

no, just kidding: REALLY beautiful stuff there, the house, the bows, the bronze stuff, the t-shirts...

had planed to come to england for that cloud shoot of the fraternity next week, but going to poland with some archer friends for vacation, now. was hoping to meet some of you guys, but maybe next time...

frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline markinengland

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 08:08:16 am »
Jape,
The PAAS website can be found at http://www.spearthroweruk.net/
We welcome all who wish to join us as a not for profit sports organisation dedicated to fostering the use of ancient archery and atlatl equipment. Those who want to shoot with us or actively participate would probably need to join us for insurance purposes but this only costs £12 for a year. You could thus be a member even if you only visit us once. I am sure we could work something out.
I have let Steve know that you would like to contact him but I don't have his website information. Those swords really are lovely. I would like one, even if I don't know what I would do with it!

Ron,
If you ever come over it would be good to see you. We have some PAAS events planned for Flag Fen in the Autumn and Butser next year that may be of interest.
The roundhouse structure is quite organic. I guess that a similar need for shelter and use of similar materials can lead to similar structures around the world.

Frank,
In the last few years us Brits have had to move out of roundhouses. Out little island is so small and crowded we could no longer afford the gaps that round houses leave and we moved into little square boxes. It was thus only recently that we dicovered the corner!  ;D
The Fraternity of St George shoot should be good. I think I'll only be able to make it on the Sunday. Have a good time in Poland.

Mark in England

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 10:13:47 am »

thanks mark!
Frank from Germany...

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 10:52:48 am »
That is so fantastic. Sure is nice to have a place like that to get together. It's even nicer that you are meeting to keep the ancient arts alive. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline The Singing Bowyer

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 12:06:54 pm »
Beautiful!!  Love it!
Chad K. Slagle
"The Singing Bowyer"
www.TheSingingBowyer.com