Author Topic: TEASE!!! Cherry Bark Backed Osage Recurve  (Read 14524 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
TEASE!!! Cherry Bark Backed Osage Recurve
« on: July 15, 2008, 06:59:28 pm »
This is my newest bow. I've been busy lately. ;D This one and the yew bow I recently posted will be my hunting bows this fall. I'm still in the process of adding a Tru-Oil finish to this bow so this is all you guys get to see for now.  >:D  I will tell you it is osage  8) with bark backing  8) .   Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 06:24:55 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: TEASE!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 07:01:13 pm »
Cherry bark backing?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 07:03:21 pm »
 :P    Slow day at the shop, David?      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 07:26:23 pm »
Is that birch bark? I can't wait to see the whole bow Pat :).

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 07:49:20 pm »
Isn't there a species named splotchy birch ;D? I don't think cherry - you didn't kill your beech tree did you, naw it ain't beech either. I give up ;D..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 09:18:06 pm »
you TEASE!!! well from the looks of it its gonna be nice anyhow! amazingly enough it actually makes me want to see more...come on...please!

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

radius

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 09:38:09 pm »
that far tip appears to be gazing off to one side...

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 09:48:44 pm »
radius, that's usually not a problem as bows when braced and drawn rigth themseves out
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 11:00:57 pm »
Come on, we gotta see more than that!  :)  Looks like another nice one.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 11:25:37 pm »
you just ain't right pat.. ???

Dave

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 11:37:06 pm »
:P    Slow day at the shop, David?      Pat

At the Studio today so I can check the net more often. Bored though!  ::)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 11:43:38 pm »
Well, I'll have more pics tomorrow but I will give you guys some stats. She is 60"t/t, 1 3/8" wide rectangular cross section limbs from the bows center out 18" on each limb then a taper to 1/2" static recurve tips(about 6" long). I was gonna have her bend through the handle but instead there is a hint of bending at my full draw of 26". I padded the handle area with shoe leather, back and belly and have that wrapped with hemp cord.
   Now for the bark backing. David was right, It is cherry bark from Joe Klink in Beaverton, OR.  I opted not to remove the beautiful lichens and mosses that adorned the bark. I hope this will last because, in it own way, is as beautiful as the coppery bark under it. Tip overlays are moose antler. I have 4 coats of Tru-Oil on her now and will probably add a few more. Finally I will give the bow a quick spray of satin poly to cut the shine of the Tru-Oil. I haven't done a final weight check but I am guessing around 50#@26".
   When I first shot her I was very disappointed in the cast and the amount of hand shock. I reduced the tips quite a bit and heat treated the belly and let her sit for a few days before stressing. After that she was spitting out my 600+gr cane and sourwood arrows with a slight thump in hand. I could take more physical weight from the tips but I think she is done. She did take some set but not excessive.    Thats about it for now.     Pat

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 12:22:03 am »
By the way....the tree that this bow came from was cut May 8, 2008. This is the belly split from the stave I bought at Hickory and another of its sisters was going to be a bow for Herb Reynolds. I will still make that bow and donate it to CTA in Herb's honor next year at Hickory.    Pat

radius

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 02:46:29 am »
radius, that's usually not a problem as bows when braced and drawn rigth themseves out

Manny, I was just teasing Pat, since he's teasing us!

Scott

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 06:00:59 am »
I always hated a tease  >:D ;) ;D ;D Can't wait to see more.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good