Author Topic: D bow myths?  (Read 6563 times)

Offline Kegan

D bow myths?
« on: July 20, 2008, 06:42:11 pm »
It seems that may people think D bows are harder to shoot as accurately. Jimm Hamm and Dean Torges both wrote that they are more difficult to shoot accurately, among others.

However, Natives and the English did wonders with long bendy handle bows, and I've gotten several Robin Hoods, as well as being able to shoot a golfball on the fly.

My questions is, is it really that the bow bends through the handle, or is it because the bow is shorter (a favorite trait of both the bowyers mentioned)? I know the require more accurate spine, but I haven't had any trouble with long D bows, even heavy weight ones.

Offline YewArcher

Re: D bow myths?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 06:51:59 pm »
Keegan,

I prefer them hands down. I shoot several bows as my personall bows and they are all bend through the handel. I think its really the archer. After you get used to a bend in the handel they are easier to shoot. I think what turns allot of people off is the lack of the heavy riser or handel area wich no doubt helps stablie the bow arm a bit. bend in the handels lack this. They need a bit better form, a bit stiller bow arm and a cleaner relase then the stiff handel riser style bows......of corse this is just in my experience. But for me.....I love them weather they be big honkin war bows, modest bend through elb's or short bend in the handel west coast NA bows.

SJM

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 07:16:40 pm »
Well said Yew, but I do have to practice alot more with my 56" bend in the handle bow...but its my 1st and still my favorite....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 09:01:33 pm »
Well put indeed :)! I just don't think they get enough good press other than being easy to build, and was wondering if anyone else felt that way. I'm glad some do ;D.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 09:06:42 pm »
The last bow I build was a vine maple D bow.  It was my first bendy handle.  I prefer it hands down to my rigid handle bows.  I thought it would have a lot of hand shock, but it has virtually none.  I don't notice an accuracy difference either.  I shoot just as bad with it as I do with a stiff handle. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 09:22:12 pm »
I know some disagree, but I think that they are harder to make....gettin the right amount of bend in the handle can be tricky indeed....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 07:52:40 am »
I wouldnt say the D bows are easier to buld. I think they are allot harder to get a good tiller on then handle bows. With handel bows you have 2 sepearte limbs that really dont affect each other much, with a D bow every piece of it i affected by wod removal. I would say that they are comporable in diffaculty to build. For beginers I never sugest a D bow but do sugest a nice simple flat bow.

SJM

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 11:10:58 am »
You also had Tim Baker knocking them for bows over 50lb.  I really haven't observed that although I've only made a few at 60+lb.  I like bows at 50lb so its a moot point.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 07:13:32 pm »
I wonder what he'd think of the 70#+ bows I like ;)?

Offline Dano

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »
Guys I have not made many D bows but the tiller actually seems easier to me, thats just me. While at Mojam my favorite bowhunter John MaGee from OK was looking for a heavier bow so I let him shoot my little bow. He came back after shooting it and says "I can hunt with that" and then he gets out his wallet and says (as he counts out all his money) he comes up with seventy two dollars and I said no, I'll take fifty tho ;D Oh I forgot to mention John is prolly 12, but one of my most respected friends. The bow is osage 60" 50# @ 26, he is a tad over-bowed today but come huntin season I expect him to make meat with it.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 09:57:24 pm »
I like them.  I had never made one till this year because of all the rumors of handshock and such.  Boy was I missing out! I've made three this year, one 59" and two 55" and none of them have any handshock and are as fast and quiet as any other i've made.
   I think they're under rated and as far as not being a good design for over 50#... I disagree also.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 06:29:19 am »
Bendy handle D bow, 75# @ 27", ...I think it works pretty good  ;) ;)

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 07:14:49 am »
Myth-D bows are shocky. Not if they are well tillered. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Kegan

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 07:15:21 pm »
Manny,that's one nice hog- bet it didn't think there was too much handshock ;D. Is the handle built up with leather? That's one beautiful bow there.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 07:18:40 pm »
Manny, that things a beast!! And  the hog is mean lookin too! Oh and great bow! ;D....Brian