Author Topic: fastest selfbow?  (Read 55984 times)

Offline Badger

Re: fastest selfbow?
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2008, 11:17:40 pm »
    Mark, I have tested your bows after they had been shot for a couple of years at drasticaly overdrawn lengths (31") and they still tested out very fast. I believe your selfbow recurves are faster than the self bow straighter bows. The backed bows seem to hit the same wall weather they are recurved or r/d from what I have seen. Low 190's seems to be about the limit. I know I am done chaseing it.
     Pat, my ambush bow was much wider than 1", I think closer to at least 1 1/2" wide. I still shoot the bow quite a bit. It must have been a misprint. Unless a bow is bend through the handle I seldom go below 1 3/8 on even the densest woods anymore.
     Just for the record, I play a lot with chasing speed but my primary interest in bow making is basicaly just selfbows. I like them to feel snappy but seldom test them for speed unless I think they might be a candidate for flight shooting or something. I used to test everything but have gotten away from that this last year.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2008, 01:41:23 pm »
 guys  i belive mark st lousis  has made the fastes one out there    bob barnes sent me some pic s of the  WHITE LIGHTNING  bow   it s elm also  if i rember correctly   bob  told me at mojam last week  that they have a pic of it being shot next to the cronograph  doin  196  or somthin like that   maybe   we can get mark or bob to tell us and post a pic of it   BROCK

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2008, 03:31:53 pm »
Brock
The second White Lightning bow that I sent Bob was HHB and it is the one that shot into the 190's.  Glad to hear it is still shooting.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2008, 05:12:23 pm »
We all done that,at least most,but as time goes on and your confidants grows you start to
push the limits some,mine still aren't what you would call fast but a lot better than the first ones.
Like justin said it is just a way to push yourself to get better and learn more, that is what most want to do.Threads like this helps that.Thats why I love this site you learn just by listening. :) and then take what you like and leave what you don't and move forward. :)
   Pappy

What are the tricks for speed?  I figured it would be limbs as narrow as possible.   Heat treatin the belly.  Recurving the tips.  Generally overall design and shape. 

I think a Holmagaard would be what you would look for or an exagerated andaman design for a very fast selfbow then.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Dustybaer

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2008, 07:03:48 am »
We have an annual contest called " walk the talk". This contest is open to modern and primitive bows and all are shot using the same strings and identical 10 grains per pound arrows.

steve, where can i look up the rules for the "walk the talk" contest?  is that the one at MOJAM?  if not, does anybody know the rules for the MOJAM speedtest?

Offline Karl-Heinz

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2008, 07:07:06 am »
Do we have a picture from this bow?

K-H

Offline acker

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2008, 06:05:25 pm »
A picture would be really nice!
If someone has it, please post it.

@D.Tiller: I agree with you,I would prefer the Holmegaard design as well.
 But witch tillershape would you prefer the "normal" one or the one Dennis LaVarenne introduces in his essay?
Thanks, Acker

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2008, 07:27:26 pm »
Well, It's hard to say without seeing them myself. I have a feeling that if you get the same amount of wood working and same static area you should get aprox. the same velocity to the arrow. Would like to see them in person sometime. Those large backs do make for a great pallet for putting artwork on!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2008, 01:09:46 am »
Have any of you guys got any crono results at 5grns per#??

David

Offline Badger

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2008, 02:20:31 am »
   I have tested quite a few at 5 grains per pound. I consider anything around 230 fps real good. I have one now that will hit 240 fps.  I have tested lighter than 5 grains a pound and gotten over 260 but the bow expoded on the first shot. Funny thing about getting the speed out of the arrow is that it is not always easy to get good flight, if an arrow takes off a little sideways it's velocity will fall off very quickly.

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2008, 02:36:23 am »
I was asking becuss I took 2 lams of Ipe and glued a piece of purplehart in between them and then cut strips out of it and barel tapered them down for flight arrows and turned the purplehart horizantle to give me the spine I needed. They shoot clean off my 55#@26 bow but they are only like 6grns per #..Any thoughts??

David

Offline Karl-Heinz

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2008, 10:32:19 am »
I have calculated that we need 40 % more stored energy than the "straight" line. My problem is that the bulge comes to quick down, therefore I loose 5%. But the recurve that prevents that is very difficult to make.
I still belive it is possible, but apart from the design, the technical skill to build this is very high and last but not least.... who has the perfect piece of wood.

K-H

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2008, 10:55:44 am »
This is a picture of a 190fps recurve I built several years ago.  This bow shot 190+ fps with 10 gpp arrows.  The bow was a heat treated HHB static recurve that I built for Bob Barnes

[attachment deleted by admin]
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

DCM

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2008, 11:35:50 am »
I believe I handled that bow at a Mojam.  Nice bow, impressive. and inspiring.  Not a speck of extra material on the outer limbs and recurves.  Very nice fit an finish.  Might have been the only bow of yours I've actually handled Marc.  Didn't realize at the time it was one of your top performers, but not surprised in hindsight.

Offline Karl-Heinz

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2008, 02:41:30 pm »
She is looking fine, that seams very similar to my proposal. May I ask the draweight and drawlength. I think the last 10 fps ist the job for the "working" recurves.

K-H