Author Topic: White Wood ENGLISH Long Bow Challenge  (Read 93562 times)

Minuteman

White Wood ENGLISH Long Bow Challenge
« on: July 27, 2008, 12:49:26 pm »
Kegan started a thread here a while ago asking questions about ELB's made from woods not normally considered " good" for that style of bow.

Heres a link:
 http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,8232.0.html

I have always been interested in making whitewood bows that didn't fit the mold. So in that light, I was wondering if folks might be interested in a challenge of sorts wherein you make an ELB out of a whitewood( or anything not normally considered a LB wood: locust, elm ,ERC (anything non tropical (that excludes Ipe,)ash, maple, oak ,or whatever. The idea being to stretch ourselves and maybe discover something new about the way so called "second string wood" responds to long bow style  limbs.

Who's in?

Lets set up some general guidelines for what the bows will and won't be .

Anybody got some ideas?

I'm thinking the limbs don't necessarily need to be D shaped but we need to have a limb width you can't go over or we are getting into flatbow territory.
 Anyone interested?
 Chris

« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 07:36:36 pm by Minuteman »

Offline Badger

Re: White Wood English Long Bow Challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 01:03:43 pm »
Why not stick with the 5/8 rule but no horn nocks. Steve

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 01:33:02 pm »
This sounds like a fun idea Chris. Just the sort of thing to liven up the dog days of summer. :)
Badger, I don't think I understand what you mean by the "5/8 rule" ? ??? No horn nocks required is a good idea since the question/challenge is about the wood...Guess I'd better start reading up on ELBs while I'm on the Mids next week.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 02:08:22 pm »
It means the limb cross section is 5/8ths as thick as it is wide.  I agree no horn nocks, but allow overlays, and modern strings..

Distance shooting could be part of the challenge, perhaps shooting the full length of the field at Mojam next summer..or be part of the conclusion..Something like the Hatchet bow style contest..But this is long term..

Posting of bows which fit the category might be good especially for the new bowyers who want to participate...

Bowbound

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 02:44:05 pm »
I got a fairly heavy ash one on the go, but i have modified it. It has a partially rounded belly but is mostly square. It is 80" long for a 32" draw length but i may pike it. I will tell you how it comes out. Only problem is i don't think it quite follows the ratio. It is about 1.5-2" across at the middle, can't remember and so far about 1" thick, but i need to start tillering first before true dimensions are here. I have the week off so i hope to get this done by at least friday. I won't be adding horn nocks but maybe horn or wood tips. Is this allowed. I was thinking about bulletwood ore ipe but if it is against the rules i won't for the time being?

Josh

Bowbound

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 02:45:51 pm »
just went and measured. It is 1.5" across which i think is fair.

Anything less and it will probably take considerable set, anything more and it would be far out of the 5-8 rule you have set.

Josh

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 02:50:08 pm »
Josh, what kind of draw weight are you looking for on this bow? Steve

Minuteman

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 02:56:39 pm »
OK the 5/8 as thick as the limb is wide is a viable guideline. Don't wanna set up a buncha rules really just general guidelines so we are comparing apples to apples you know. Too many rules and folks won't wanna participate.

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 03:40:01 pm »
The 5/8 rule would be the most basic requirement for making an elb, I don't think it would matter what kind of tips anyone chose as long as there was not set requirement. Steve

Bowbound

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 03:41:20 pm »
I'm going for anything between 50 and 70lbs probably towards the heavier end now i am getting more experienced. Just been tillering on the long string and it pulls 50lbs at the brace height, 6" of limb travel.

Why do you ask?

Josh

radius

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 03:50:03 pm »
as for the rules:  can the bows be made of laminations?  I have some white oak laminations which are 72" long ( i think) and some white ash which are 68" long...I could glue them up straight and make an elb...

Minuteman

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 04:25:32 pm »
I would think that would be alright, Radius. it won't do to compare a laminated LB to a self backed one though. Not that its a competition either way.

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 05:00:02 pm »
   I was just curious Josh, I thought you might be building a war bow. Steve

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 05:02:18 pm »
Count me in! I will need to pick up some white woods though. Is there a time line on the project?

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Minuteman

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 05:07:30 pm »
Lets just make it an ongoing thread  :).