Author Topic: wild rose shafts  (Read 2939 times)

Offline recurve shooter

wild rose shafts
« on: July 31, 2008, 04:20:04 pm »
hi folks. been a long time sence i been on. i cut some wild rose about a month ago and have it sitting out on my front pourch, and i was jist wondering if there are any traits of this wood that i need to be cautious of? it seems to be some realy tough stuff. oh, also, how long should i let it dry? ??? thank yall alot for all the help
lets just shoot it

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: wild rose shafts
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 04:43:28 pm »
It tends to check sometimes if you yank the bark off too soon. If yours has been cut for a month, it's probably good to go. Let it dry until it doesn't stay bent when you bend it and loses that "spongy" feel. Stripping the bark will help it dry quicker if it doesn't check. You can hand straighten them every couple of days while they're drying and often have them good and straight by the time they are dry. Rose shoots have a pithy center, so just like cane, you need to get shoots that are a couple years old-the newer ones have thin walls and spine really low. They make good arrows, and if it's got good thick walls, you can plane them down to the diameter/spine you need.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline recurve shooter

Re: wild rose shafts
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 04:51:12 pm »
cool. thanx alot. i'll try to work on em this weekend.
lets just shoot it