Author Topic: Thread glue or binding agent?  (Read 7281 times)

Offline silberz

Thread glue or binding agent?
« on: August 01, 2008, 09:43:05 pm »
Just started making my arrows and I am wondering what you all are using to coat the thread on your fletches>? I used some fabric/thread glue which seemed to work but has a glossy glue type finish. Any hints?
Max

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Re: Thread glue or binding agent?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 10:00:11 pm »
Usually, I use titebond 3.  I tworks geat and blends in pretty good with the wood.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 10:10:33 pm »
I use either TBIII or super glue on silk and synthetic thread and pine pitch varnish for sinew.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cheapshot

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 09:31:18 am »
I usually use 5 ton epoxy. It dries kinda glossy, but it's pretty tough. I also use it for glueing on points and the dowel inserts in my cane arrows. Lately I have been experimenting with T.B.III and it seems to be working pretty good.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 02:24:52 pm »
I glue the feathers with Fletch-Tite, but cover the thread with pine pitch.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 09:10:37 pm »
Poly-cotton thread (33% polyester) with Titebond II.......Or sinew and diluted hide glue.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 10:45:27 pm »
I glue the feathers with Duco.  Then glue sinew or artificial sinew with the Titebond liquid hide glue.
Traverse City, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 03:37:01 pm »
When I use Duco for the feathers I use Duco for the thread or art sinew. When I use sinew I coat with hide glue. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 04:24:55 pm »
Do you guys that use hide glue seal it with something?  Being water soluble and knowing it rains occasionally during hunting season  ::), I think waterproofing hide glue would be needed.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 01:26:48 am »
Pat,
I don't seal the sinew and hide glue....that would take a way from one of its best qualities: EASY TO UNDO.  If I seal the sinew and one of the feathers tears, for example, I won't be able to dunk the whole thing in water and take it apart.  The only thing I do is put some alum on the hide glue to make it less sticky.....that's it.

And I don't hunt in the rain.  Been there, done that.  It's not about guaranteed success anymore.  For me, it's more about stress relief.  If it rains, oh well, I guess I'll just have to enjoy the scenery.  ;D

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline silberz

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 10:40:22 am »
Thanks you for the info all, I went with the TB3 and its seems to blend well, Hopefully it will hold up. I am going to do a few arrows with sinew thread, Think the TB3 will work out ok with it as well?
Starting to get addicted to making these arrows.
Max

Offline silberz

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 10:57:35 am »
While on the subject of wooden arrow, I stained them and was going to put a coat of laquer or sealer/clear coat; I decided to just leave them stained without a coating, If I am not using them in the rain or damp conditions is this is problem ?
Thanks
Max

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 11:13:26 am »
Silberz, if you're target shooting at long ranges then yes, sealing your arrows against moisture is needed.  If you're shooting at short ranges, then your arrows will be fine.  Most people, however, seal their arrows no matter what.....it makes them less likely to warp over time, it preserves the finish and/or cresting, and makes them smoother.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 11:23:55 am »
What is your arrow material. If other than cane, I would seal them. I have used water based poly, Tru-Oil and now on primitive arrows I use home made pine pitch varnish.  TBIII glue will be OK to seal sinew.     Pat

Offline silberz

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 11:30:35 am »
I am using cedar and spruce, I ask because I am using the quantam XT glue from 3 rivers to attach the fletches and then following up with a thread wrap. 3rivers said that the glue will not hold on a laqured finish. I guess I will need to get some other type of glue.
Max