Author Topic: Snake Skins are easy!  (Read 4869 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Snake Skins are easy!
« on: August 16, 2008, 04:08:33 am »
Well, I finnaly got the snake skins on the back of my bow. Took me months since the 11th anual TN Classic but its done! Neat thing is its easy. Just like some of the posts I've seen its not hard at all. Now all I have to do is wait for it to dry and then put the handle on. I likes it! Now for my next project!!!!

David T
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 03:12:02 pm by D. Tiller »
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Dustybaer

Re: Smake Skins are easy!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 06:58:23 am »
david, you give me hope!  i still have the snaky osage bow from colleen and the skins from gary davis, but haven't had the guts to put them on yet.  and i got them at the 10TH TN CLASSIC, so you're travelling at light-speed compared to me  ;D

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 01:18:26 pm »
Hi Dave,

I finally got some sturgeon skins for my osage bow.  They are cleaned and drying - I hope they are easy too...  Someone said to roll them up and freeze them until ready to use?  These are stiff as a board already, so would need to be dampened again before rolling.  I think I'll just hang them in the shop as they are until I am ready for them.

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline D. Tiller

Re: Snake Skins are easy!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 03:14:29 pm »
Carefull hanging them up in the garage. There are a number of small little creatures and not so small ones that will eat your sturgeon sins in an instance! I suggest at least putting them in a plastic bag with some desicant powder you can find at hobby stores. It will keep dry. But the best would be the freezer since it wont rot there.

Hows life treating you down arround Olympia?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 03:40:06 pm »
david, you give me hope!  i still have the snaky osage bow from colleen and the skins from gary davis, but haven't had the guts to put them on yet.  and i got them at the 10TH TN CLASSIC, so you're travelling at light-speed compared to me  ;D

Marius, its really easy. Just soak the snake skins for around an hour. Put glue on the back of the bow. Lay out the snake skins upside down and pat dry. Then flip them over and lay them out on the bow and make sure the patterns line up. Then push out the excess glue and any trapped air with your fingers. Make sure you place some cuts in the pieces that over hang the edges of the bows back. It will allow the snakeskins to fit better to the bow when there are curves in it.  Thats just about it!

A big thank you to PatB for the diamond back rattler skins (with rattles on too!!!). By the way what should I do with the rattles? I was thinking of using some of the trimmed off pieces for accentuation's on some knapped knives I'm doing for the KITH thing. Think they would work on the end of some string attached to the handles of these knives? Ideas welcome!!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 04:20:52 pm »
David, my wife used to make baskets and would weave snake skin scraps into some of her baskets. You can also make snake skin cresting for arrows if the shins are thin enough.
   Marius, Once you do it you will wonder why you hadn't tried before. ;) It is not hard at all.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Dustybaer

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 07:46:15 am »
thanks guys, i appreciate your encouragement.  maybe i should get it ready for the 12th TN classic and bring it along  ;D

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 03:31:06 pm »
I will be looking forward to seeing it!

Offline RG

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 06:17:28 pm »
How about picsTiller

Ron

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 02:42:20 am »
Pictures coming soon! Once I figure out how to use the camera!!!  ;D

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 06:40:29 am »
Cool can't wait to see it,I told you they weren't much trouble,you just have to take
your time and there is nothing to it.It will take several coats of sealer to get them smooth
so just keep putting it on with some light steel wool in between each coat from head to tale
and you will get there.some give up and don't get them slick. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 12:59:31 am »
Some of the scales were coming off the skins. Should I remove the rest of them? If so how should I do it?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 09:09:50 am »
Just rub them from head to tail with a soft rag,pretty hard and they will turn loose,keep rubbing
until that stop coming off the start sealing.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 10:54:52 am »
That sounds good David, glad it turned out for ya - where's them pictures ??? ;)?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2008, 02:29:46 pm »
Me, working hard at soap mine. Me brain hurt!  >:(