Author Topic: help with 2 fletch arrows pls  (Read 10012 times)

Offline n2everythg

help with 2 fletch arrows pls
« on: August 20, 2008, 05:19:17 pm »
I have studied this thread and others:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,5196.15.html

and saw pat do the 2 fletch up at his bday. but still miffed a bit.

Can someone pls help out.

biggest issue I think I have is the Rt Lft thing and which feather should be canted which way.

Can someone confirm that these are both right wing secondaries: or are they left?????

then can you tell me if I am canting them the correct direction here?

seems like they should have gone the other way and I should have stripped off the other side as it doenst seem as  stiff as the side I did strip off.
Do I need to start with another 2 feathers or just strap them down.

thanks in advance.
Wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Papa Matt

Re: help with 2 fletch arrows pls
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 05:31:05 pm »
Brother, I'll only tell you what I know and then someone else who might have done it before can tell you for sure.

Those look to me like left secundary and I have never made 2-fletch arrows before but I do plan on doing it soon, and when I do, I would do it just like you are right there. As far as I see you're going about it alright.

As far as right and left wing--I can tell you this for sure: The curvature of the feather contours to the body of the bird, so the feathers never curve outward, but lay down flat and smooth along the body of the bird. And notice the feathers then would either curve up or down. As they lay on the bird, obviously the quill end points toward the head of the bird. Now, notice the feather then could either curve up or down as it lays flat with the quill pointing to the head, depending on which wing you have it on. In this position it will curve upward. Does this help?

If not let me know. Or Google a pic of a turkey and look at the feather curvature.

~~Papa Matt

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 05:43:16 pm »
I think you are probably correct and these are left secondaries. I can figure out the primaries easy but havnt figured out the secondaries yet. BUT... If I hold them along my left shoulder the stiffest part of the feather side is in an upward position. which would relate to the back of the wing if outstreached. and seems to me that logically makes the most sense that to fly the stiffest part of the feather would have to be back. I think anyway.... ????'

If that is the case and these are Lefties... then I have the helical wrong.. I have it twisting to the right as you look from nock to point.

that correct... meaning that I'm wrong and need to start again?
thanks
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Papa Matt

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 05:53:36 pm »
I think I know what you mean and I don't think you are incorrect. In other words, you cut the longer, stiffer hair of the feather and you think you have it upside down? I wouldn't worry about it if this is the case. The hair on the side of the feather that you trimmed are a tad longer and are the stiffer ones, but those are trimmed, so to me, that is OK because it will compensate for them being trimmed back.

The way you are doing it is how I have planned to do it, I just had a hand injury a while back and haven't done it yet. But I would strap them down like you have them and start shooting.

I could be wrong though, cause like I said I've never made one yet. But I've fletched and shot enough arrows to believe you're going about it ok.

~~Matt

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 06:02:16 pm »
thanks papa...
guess the proof is in the flight huh?
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline sonny

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 07:09:38 pm »
pretty sure those are left wing. in that 1st pic see how the bottom is frayed, giving me the impression that they were dragged along the ground...

can't help with two fletch as I've never done it.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 09:09:27 pm »
Those are left-wing feathers. Imagine them on an outstretched wing. I would have stripped the other side and helicaled them in the opposite direction.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 09:34:41 pm »
Thanks steve.
Was hoping that was right as that is exactly what I ended up doing.
Flew great least in my basement at 10 yds. will try them at longer dist tomorrow and post some finished pics.
thanks again.
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 11:00:21 pm »
Still doesnt seem like I have it quite right.
Check out these pics pls and let me know what you think. Any changes needed before I complete more arrows?
Too dark to shoot them right now Tomorrow will try them out and see how they fly.
thanks
wade

N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 12:28:25 am »
By George, I think you've got it. 8)  I had to play around with different feathers and twists before I found the one that flew best for me. I ended up cutting the fletching closer to the quill to eliminate the feather noise, not that there is anything wrong with it. ;D It was for my satisfaction.
   You might want to add a bit more wrap around the shaft below your point. That area takes a lot of abuse  when it hits something.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 11:16:26 am »
Looks like you've got it, like Pat said now that you have the basic configuration down, adjust and experiment until it works for you. Looking at pics of old Eastern Woodland arrows, there's a lot of variation from person to person in the way they did it, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 12:50:40 pm »
thanks guys. hope to get out to try them out today.
gotta get done with this nasty work thing first.

thanks for pointing out the sparse wrap too pat. will beef it up some.

let you know how they fly.
later
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 10:09:29 pm »
Looking good Wade, here's one that I did with turkey tail feathers. This thing flies great.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 10:24:54 pm »
Made up one this afternoon.  Shot great, but sounded like a flu flu.   Going to try and get the feathers tighter and down on the shaft more tomorrow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 11:45:41 pm »
Alan, those with the tail feathers look great. I'll have to try some. I just happen to have a bag of tail feathers left over from the camp-o-rama. ;D
SS, trim down the fletching height a bit and see if that doesn't help. Like this...
     ...the second pic is what they looked like initially.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC