Author Topic: Mary Rose Replica Bow Build-Along--An Entrance into the World of War Bows  (Read 206031 times)

Far East Archer

Re: Mary Rose Replica Bow Build-Along--An Entrance into the World of War Bows
« Reply #135 on: November 21, 2006, 07:22:28 am »
What a Master piece!  :o This was an awsome buildalong J.D. The tiller looks great, hope to see more pics soon.
 How about that flaming arrow?

Alex

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #136 on: November 21, 2006, 09:06:21 am »
Very nice JD. You did an excellent job with the tiller. That 100# @ 28" would actually be more like 130# @ 32". How far did she shoot that arrow?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Alvin the Terrible

« Reply #137 on: November 21, 2006, 09:14:47 am »
Amazing passion, commitment, patience, discipline and attention to detail.  Lessons for all walks.

.......and you've achieved "rock star" status as a bowyer.  Really enjoy the buildalong.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #138 on: November 21, 2006, 10:48:04 am »
J.D.  I'm just having a little fun with you. I don't think I could get it back to full draw either. My breaking point seems to be around 90#.  Maybe we can get Marlon to post his work out since we all want to build a war bow now.  I'm thinking about ordering one of those fancy yew staves also.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

michigan bowguy

« Reply #139 on: November 21, 2006, 11:54:40 am »
great build along, thanks for sharing...great bow!
 stunning dude ,just awesome.
 are the double notches in the nocks for some sort of stringer?
jamie

Offline Asiertxu

« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2006, 03:15:23 pm »
I HAVE NOT WORDS Josh!!!.....Thats FHANTASTIC!!!!.... :) :) :) :)....

Best regards!..

Asier.
//Asier from "Basque Country" Spain.

duffontap

« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2006, 04:36:06 pm »
Wow.  Thanks everyone.  Those are some of the nicest things anyone has said to me.  Humbling actually. 

Badger,
I forgot to mention, I got two horns on ebay for around $14 including shipping.  They had long, pure-black tips which was what I was looking for. 

Rich,
Thanks a lot.  The bowyer's mark was found on all (I think all) the Mary Rose bows.  Since these bows don't have a grip or anything I was forced to keep the decor simple.  The bowyer's mark was my one chance to decorate.

Far East Archer,
I'll keep my promise to do the flaming arrow video, but it'll take a little time.  I need to conscript some laborers from the college-age student body I work with.   ;)  Thanks for the kind words, too!

Thanks Marc,
Getting the tiller right is job 1.  Hearing that from you is very satisfying.  Like I'd said earlier, I studied the tiller on this for days and days before I was willing to put finish on it.  I'm satisfied at this point.  Also--I had no idea this bow would pick up 7.5# per inch!  That'll take me some time.

Alvin The Terrible,
You've got the greatest name on this forum.  Thank you so much for your encouraging words.  'Rock Star'?  I guess I'll have to go off the deepend now.

Justin,
I was just messing too.  Hey, 90 lbs is pretty up there. 

Michigan Bowguy,
Thanks a lot.  Yes, the double notches were found on the tips of some of the Mary Rose bows.  Some people think they were used with a stringer on heavy bows.  There is a risk of breaking a horn nock off while using a regular stringer, so I added these.  They're practical and traditional. 

Asiertxu,
Thanks a lot for that.  Four smilies is my highest rating ever!  I really appreciate you taking the time. 

Thanks again everyone.  I'm glad everyone enjoyed the build-along.  This was the most fun bow building I've ever had.  It was good to work though the process with so many talented people. 

J. D. Duff

Offline Badger

« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2006, 04:51:14 pm »
This thread along with some of the other recent threads has brought back memeories of earlier PA. That yew bow of yours and the yew bow of ryans are both top caliper bows. I see a good duel for bow of the month comming up LOL. Steve

Offline Dane

« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2006, 07:30:52 pm »
My congradulations are in order, JD. Wonderful work, and beautiful too. Hip, hip, huzzah! Now you just need a war and you are all set.

Can you or anyone post sources for yew staves? Any recommendations on good vendors would be appreciated.

Dane

PS are you naming this bow?
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

jcougar

« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2006, 08:52:02 pm »
Sweet! You should compile this into an article for the magazine.

duffontap

« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2006, 01:46:57 am »
Badger,
If it comes down to a tie between two Yew longbows I would be happy enough.  In such a case the winner could be decided in a old-timey archery duel to the death!  We just keep shooting volleys of arrows at each other until there is a clear winner. :D

Thanks Dane,
I'll PM you a source for good Yew staves.  If I name the bow it will have to be something with the word 'Ye' in it. 

jcougar,
Do you think there would be enough interest for a magazine article here?  I would be glad to condense it down and submit it if enough people think it's justified.  Thanks for the compliment. 

J. D. Duff

PS Everybody,  I'll start posting about the arrows starting Monday next week.  Thanks again, you have made this a very rewarding project.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2006, 03:47:15 pm »
Wow - this has been quite the thread. Very educational.  Thanks for the Mary Rose images and historical review.  Thei Mary Rose website in England is impressive.
And got this accomplishment bookmarked for November Self Bow of the Month
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Fred_Hagell

« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2006, 03:55:06 pm »
WOW! That is an impressive beast of a bow you made.  Very nice tiller and a good job on the nocks too. 
This thread has been intriguing and inspiring.  I think it could be made into an excellent PA article.  The burning thatch would be the cherry on top.

Just....Wow
I need some yew.

Fred

I wonder how many heavies will be posted in December.

duffontap

« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2006, 05:08:08 pm »
Thanks OldBow!

Fred_Hagell,
I laughed out loud when I read the part about heavies being posted in December!  That's a cool thought.  I think a lot of people are going to start realizing that it's not difficult to get into heavy bows with a little determination.  Drawing heavy bows is safe too, if you're willing to do it right.  And FUN, FUN, FUN to build and shoot.  I've said it before--I'm glad to be a small part of the revolution.  And, I haven't forgotten the flaming arrow bit either!

J. D. Duff

Offline Primitive1

« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2006, 07:18:47 pm »
J.D., I don't know what else I could add to the accolades already given so instead, with Thanksgiving right around the corner...many 'thanks' for 'giving' us all a wonderful build along...quite a ride and beautiful work bro!  Cheers, P1.
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO