Author Topic: Mary Rose Replica Bow Build-Along--An Entrance into the World of War Bows  (Read 206620 times)

duffontap

Re: Mary Rose Replica Bow Build-Along--An Entrance into the World of War Bows
« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2006, 02:42:16 pm »
Yeah Ragi, but I'm lazy!

Thanks for the tips.  I do taper the quills out about 1/8" in the front but I've never done it in the back.  As it is, these arrows take a long time to make so I get to rushing the details--shame on me.  :( 

How long does it take you to wrap fletchings on a dozen arrows?  I think it would take me about 3 hours with the spacing on the arrows above.   :P

J. D. Duff

ragi

« Reply #166 on: November 29, 2006, 05:08:51 pm »
heheheh I am lazy too. I have carpal tunnel issues in the left hand so figure 20 min per arrow. it normally takes 2 good movies of sitting on the couch to get a dzn done but I also dont wind them as tight as all that. say 1/4 inch spaceings.

I then paint over the windings with hide glue tinted with a little dark green food coloring.

Offline Dane

« Reply #167 on: November 29, 2006, 11:46:09 pm »
JD, again, thanks for continuing this topic. I use linen thread for my fletching, which has been very robust. The fletching on my current arrows has managed to survive a 3D shoot and lots of target practice fine so far.

You mentioned the cost of war being high, referring to how much effort just the arrows are. What is the cost of defeat? Much more so, I think, so the coin spent on arrows for a campaign was cheap in comparision to the alternative.

By the way, I am about to plane some shafts out of probably poplar for a project for Regia Anglorum, a group I belong to. A member is going to smith some Anglo-Saxon period broadheads. Not socketed, but tanged heads, which should be fun to work with. I'm looking forward to seeing the bodkins you are going to use. You don't also smith in addition to your other talents, do you, great one? :)

And before I forget, thanks in advance for vendor names for yew staves. I'll be looking for that. Do you need my email address?

Dane

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

duffontap

« Reply #168 on: November 30, 2006, 04:04:37 pm »
Ragi,
Thanks for the reply.  Does the hide glue help much?  I should try that.

Dane,
You're right about the cost of war.  I think it's slightly amusing that the heavy consumption of alpine yew and arrow woods (let alone labor costs) of the medievals is so similar to how expensive war is these days.  It takes me a month to build a good bow and set of arrows, but with war-sized resources, a carefully made arrow was expendable.  I would have loved to stroll through those weapons stores and looked at a pile of 10,000 hand-made arrows and 2,000 Yew bows.  That would blow the mind.

J. D. Duff

ragi

« Reply #169 on: November 30, 2006, 04:17:42 pm »
If you look at a lot of period examples of arrows, there is evidence of some sort of thick varnish laid on and over the wrapping. it lasts where nothing but the shaft does so it is something significant.

Jaro says is is a mix of hide glue and verdigris, I have spoken to Mr Soar and he says it was pitch and beeswax and verdigris.

the hide glue is easier and works well to hold the fletching down. I cant say I like how it looks with the green dye and it does not really hold if you paint it over the polyurethane finish I use but regardless it adds a period touch to the arrows and it locks the wrapping in place.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #170 on: December 01, 2006, 07:38:45 pm »
Ragi, if you dont mind not being authentic try putting some food coloring in the Polyurethane varnish and dabing it onto the bindings. Should hold up really well under repeated use.

J.D. Starting to laminate togethe my Hickory/Yellowheart/Ipe bow. The Hickory/Yellowheart combo warbow is comming along really well. I love how easy it is to make the D profile. Seams like these bows just want to make themselves! Now to tiller the thing and see how it comes out!

D. Tiller
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

duffontap

« Reply #171 on: December 01, 2006, 11:18:36 pm »
I know I promised something on bodkins by Thursday--but--I have to plead 'exhausted' for now.  I'll get that post up as soon as I have a chance.

Thanks and take care,

J. D. Duff

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #172 on: December 01, 2006, 11:31:42 pm »
AN ANVIL YET!!!!-talk about serious and commited-whew-bob

duffontap

« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2006, 12:03:02 am »
Yeah, but I'm in a pro's shop.  My shop is woodworking only.

J. D. Duff

'I think I've got the black lung pop.'  from Zoolander

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #174 on: December 02, 2006, 10:09:36 am »
Yeah, but I'm in a pro's shop.  My shop is woodworking only.

J. D. Duff

That is probably best J.D..  Sawdust and hot sparks aren't best friends.  My brother came over one day and needed some stuff welded while I was working on a bow.  I thought I was far enough away from the saw dust. OOPS.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Dane

« Reply #175 on: December 02, 2006, 10:14:09 am »
All right, JD, you clearly are moving into godlike status, now that we know you smith as well! Can you just send us a list of skills you CAN'T tackle?

I'm most curious at this point about how you are going to keep the bodkins the same weight, or is that a critical factor for a war bow? I.e., do you start with a hunk of iron that is a certain weight as you smith it, or do you lose some as you work it into shape? That is from a non-smith there, so the question might be ignorante.

Spining and weight matching - is that something you did with your hardwood arrow shafts?

Oh, could you kindly address the string you used for the bow - Dacron, linen, whatever? How fat is it, for such a powerful bow?

And last, how is that hut coming along? You did promise us a flaming arrow. No rush, of course :)

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

jamie

« Reply #176 on: December 02, 2006, 08:43:46 pm »
dude i just spent the evening reading this post. excellent friggin work. well deserved b.o.m. winner

Rich Saffold

« Reply #177 on: December 02, 2006, 08:55:13 pm »
J.D' is gonna get a lot of pm's requesting custom bodkins ;D Cool pic, great show!

Rich

Offline heavybow

« Reply #178 on: December 03, 2006, 01:26:57 am »
JD Nice bodkins I will need 1/2 dozen bodkins soon take care JD marlon ;D

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #179 on: December 03, 2006, 03:49:03 pm »
Nice J.D. ! Did you see the new video on the Englishwarbow.com site about forging socketed bodkin points. Might want to have a look might give you some ideas. Also, dang I'm jelous! Access to a forge too!!! Those points are looking real good. How much for 500 type 10 bodkins, 30 swallow tail, 300 leaf points and 400 small barbed warpoints? Just kidding!!! ;D

D. Tiller
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill