Author Topic: "New bow" weapon of choice this season.  (Read 21250 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
"New bow" weapon of choice this season.
« on: August 23, 2008, 08:10:07 pm »
Here's my latest osage r/d selfbow. Started out with a typical bodark stave in February this year - amazing what a little heat and steam will do for ya :). She's 58" n/n and 60#'s @ 28" shoots sweet! Have been flinging those funny lookin arra's at misc birds and jackrabbit's with it last coupla days - no hit's ;D.
 Finished off on the back with RyanO's crumpled up plastic sack dye dob job - I'm very happy with those results and will do it again, thanks Ryan. Did a little laminatin on the tips with diff colored woods I had laying around, Strunk style handle wrap, and eight coats true oil. Here she is.....

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Cromm

Re: "New bow" weapon of choice this season.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 08:13:15 pm »
Nice work Cowboy!!!
What happen to the photo of the full draw?? ;) ;) :D
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 08:13:54 pm »
Coupla more.

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Dano

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 08:15:30 pm »
Nice bow Paul, I got some of that cactis too, looks like some chert on that wall  ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline cowboy

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 08:34:57 pm »
Thanks Cromm and Dano! There's no chirt in that wall, just your typical everyday limestone - bet I could bop something out of though ;D.
 Oh, I roasted the belly on this thing up to the recurves - seemed to add some zip to it's zing. Gonna try that more on future bows.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 08:41:00 pm »
That's beautiful Paul!  The full draw is perfect.  I just love the looks of those curves.  From the looks of the stave, you earned that one.  Saw Filer
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 09:37:41 pm »
Thanks Shannon! It was fun to build - learned tons about heat and wood, now I'm going about it with a matter of fact kinda attitude  - seems like a breeze :).

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 10:01:39 pm »
Danged Nice Bow Paul....you don't pump them out like Some do....but when they Come....they are worth waiting for!!! Nice Full Draw....I love it....and you don't have to worry about String Slap with that Brace Height ....do you!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 10:23:54 pm »
 Dang It Son!, that baby looks sweet as a cow chewing sugar cane. :D When you get through slinging arrows and waring that thing out with dove, you can send it to me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

jamie

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 10:38:13 pm »
excellent as always

Offline cowboy

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 10:57:41 pm »
Thanks fallers ;D! Destructo, the reason I have it braced so high is these funky flu flu arra's i've been shootin at the birds - they seem to get ruffled quicker than regular fletches, I'll toner down come real critter huntin season :).

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 11:01:17 pm »
That is one sweet bow.  Good job.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 11:11:24 pm »
Thanks fallers ;D! Destructo, the reason I have it braced so high is these funky flu flu arra's i've been shootin at the birds - they seem to get ruffled quicker than regular fletches, I'll toner down come real critter huntin season :).

Wa'll..how is Da Dove Huntin goin??? I can hardly hit one with a Shotgun....but I got two Doves and a Fox Squirrel that would not quit eating the Bark off my Maple Trees....got them all with my 68 caliber Automag Paint Pistol!!!

Was just amazed at the whole Bow....Paul.....it is a work of art....

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline xin

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 11:17:16 pm »
Really nice bow.  I like the tortoise shelll effect on the back and your novel laminates on the tips.  Your knappiing seems to be progressing also.  Really liked those calf creeks.  Wish I could notch that deeply.  Have you tried the chert under the Nueces River bridge south of Campwood.  Again, very nice bow.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 11:18:12 pm »
Thanks again Mike, that paint pistol ain't exactly primitive but whaterver gittser done huh ;D. I'm gonna get a dove come hell or high water, have about two dozen shots in so far and got some ducken and diven out of em. Have realized that close don't count when your bird huntin with a bow :).