Author Topic: Putting up stands...  (Read 9111 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Putting up stands...
« on: August 23, 2008, 11:34:21 pm »
It's that time of year that we try and get our stands in the woods a few weeks prior to deer season opening. Anthony, Keith and I spent the morning placing stands in travel area's that we know from past hunting season's should give us opportunities. Couple of these stands have some white oak trees within selfbow range that will drop acorns this year. We try to get as much cover around the stands as possible by pulling smaller saplings near the stands and tying them off, or actually cutting limbs such as beach that will keep their leaves through the season to provide cover.

Keith harvested a P&Y out of one of these stands sites last year. But neither of us will turn down a good doe either. ;D  A couple of the pictures are of ditch crossings near a stand site. A steep ditch that deer are only crossing at a couple of locations can be a good bottle-neck to hunt near.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Putting up stands...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 11:36:04 pm »
Few more pic's...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greg

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 11:46:14 pm »
Me too.....just got back from putting up two Stands...and two feeders....and checking on the Food Plot.....took all day in the 98 degree heat....and now I am beat!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 12:01:47 am »
  Man, Pappy's woods look good. I'd love to be in the woods right now. Your stand layout looks great Greg.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 12:34:51 am »
Thanks Eddie, these aren't Pappy's woods...they belong to Keith. Hopefully Labor Day weekend we'll finish with hanging stands. We've got 6 up right now, not counting a couple behind my house. Hope I get to hunt in Pappy's woods a few times this year as well. Looking forward to it! ;)
Greg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 12:43:01 am »
Nice set-ups Greg. Pulling the saplings in front is an idea I haven't thought of. I think I'll try it. ;)
  I put one chain on stand in my woods and have set up a few ground blinds. I won't be getting to my club in GA ahead of time like I usually do this year so I will go in cold on my first hunt. As a matter of fact, I will miss opening day because of a previous engagement that I can't get out of. Some folks just don't understand about opening day!  >:(    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Ranger B

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 09:41:29 am »
Greg,
   Well you're ahead of me.  I hope to get a couple hung in the next week.  I missed you at Pappy's, but saw Anthony.  I got my hackberry stave laid out and cut down.  Hope to see you over at the farm soon.
Jimmy

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 12:21:45 pm »
Thanks Pat, these are all proven spots...just have to be there at the right time I guess.

Sorry I missed you Jimmy, Keith and I did some more scouting after Anthony left for the club. I was kind of beat after I got home, and had a good collection of cee ticks to get rid of... :(

Let me know when you plan to be at the club again...
Greg

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 12:28:04 pm »
Man Ya'll really get em up there, those look good. Your stands are higher up than the treetops where I hunt, maybe I'll go for a groundblind or just still hunt.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Big A

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 08:14:10 pm »
Paul, Our stands are only 14 ft high. We try to keep them lower because it gives us a better shot angle. With the lower stands we need to get all the cover we can to keep from getting caught by the deer.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 08:18:16 pm »
Oh, the picture made em look about twenty feet off the ground - I'm not used to tall straight trees around here. I think at 14 feet though, I'd still be gazing through the canopy ;D. Glad ya'll are getting them set up and rolling - three more days I get off work and can work on mine. I'll post some pic's.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Ranger B

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 10:33:21 pm »
Greg,
   I shot the range on Sat and had at least 100 ticks.  How the heck did you get them out?  They are tiny and I scrubbed and scrubbed.  Finally I took a deet bath and tried to just kill them in place.
Jimmy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 12:07:05 am »
PERMANONE before you go out!!!!!!!!! ;) Once they are on you, you've had it!     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 08:05:01 am »
Good looking stands,yall should wear them out in them spots. I guess I need to get with it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 08:06:37 am »
Jimmy,
Pat's right, I'm going to use the permanone until we get a good frost. I just hadn't gotten into them this year until Saturday...
Greg