Author Topic: My first primitive hunting arrows.  (Read 20057 times)

Offline Woodland Roamer

Re: My first primitive hunting arrows.
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2008, 10:20:49 pm »
Super nice arrows Ryan, great job hafting those points. Hope you get a deer with both of them.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2008, 10:28:29 pm »
Now I'm going to have to learn how to make pine pitch glue and varnish - where might a feller come across that information ;D?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2008, 10:50:02 pm »
Thanks everyone. They were actually pretty easy to make just sort of time consuming. Straightening the Cain shafts was the hardest part.

Paul, Patb told me how to do it. Its really quite simple. The glue is 1/3 pine pitch (the white gooey stuff on pine tree's)1/3 bee's wax, and 1/3 finely ground charcoal. Get your self a hot fire going and melt your pine goo in a coffee can. Try to get all the impurity's out of the pine goo like bark and bugs and stuff. Then mix the in the wax and the charcoal. Then take a stick and ball up the goo on the end of the stick while its cooling. This will give you a glue ball. Then just use the glue ball like you would hot melt for regular metal field points. once the stuff cools and it hardens its amazingly strong.

The varnish is just pine pitch dissolved in denatured alcohol. Pat said its better to use the crusty powdery white pitch for the varnish than fresh oozy stuff so the varnish with dry and not be as sticky.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 12:12:16 am »
What he said! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 09:32:02 am »
have you thought of using the pine varnish on bows? looks pretty good on them arras!
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline Ryano

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 09:54:32 am »
ya, I had thought about it Phil but it tends to get sticky if you hold it in your warm hand to long. Might be ok with a coat or two of paste wax over top of it though.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 10:28:37 am »
Great lookin arrows Ryan!  I believe you'll get to try 'em out this fall.  Maybe on a big buck!
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 10:50:15 am »
Thanks Ryan/ Pat: I know I've seen that recipe on here before - this time I wrote it down ::) ;).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 01:47:50 pm »
I've found an easy way to get pine pitch. Just put some "fat lighter, lighterknot" pine wood in a can of water. Bring it to a boil
. The resin will float to the top . Then take a pop-cycle stick and just twirl it through the floating resin. As it builds up on the stick, occasionly dip it in some cold water and then twirl some more. When you want to use the resin just heat it and drip.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 05:36:54 pm »
Ryan ,  Your finished arrows look even better than when I saw them last week. I hope the heads hold up to the job ahead they are to the best of my abilty at this time, I hope I can improve my Knapping skills, Justin an Ryan thanks for the great obsidian, It,s nice to work an pretty sharp. The cane arrows are really straight and pretty to boot. Great job Ryan     Later Bob

Offline cowboy

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2008, 09:20:45 pm »
Thanks Eddie - I'm jotting that down in my recipe ;).

Far East Archer

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 01:27:11 am »
Wow really cool arrows Ryan!

That pine finish really came out well, no wonder you were askin about using it for bows.
Is there some ingredient you could add to it that will make it more heat resistant? Maybe linseed oil....I dunno  ;D

Again, those are really nice and thanks for the tips, gonna write those down too hehe

Alex

Offline Ryano

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2008, 10:46:36 am »
Thanks Bob. I appreciate you making the heads for me. I think you did a very good job.
Thank you Alex. I don't know. I guess I'll have to experiment.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2008, 12:52:06 pm »
 Those are fine looking arrows,Looks like you got the tools,now you just gotta "neek up on something.Good work!  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline PeteC

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2008, 10:29:19 pm »
Man,those ought to get the coon!!! Very nice!!   God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas