Author Topic: Snakeskin backings  (Read 11014 times)

Offline diegosdaddy

Snakeskin backings
« on: September 14, 2008, 11:12:55 pm »
I'm contemplating putting some snakeskins on a bow to dress it up a little and hide a patch.  I have never done this before and was thinking that if I put the skins on, it would probably quickly wear out beneath the top nock, due to bracing and unbracing the bow.  Seems to me there's a lot of pressure put on the back by the string and ones hand when bracing in particular in this area.  Of course i"m talking about the push pull method of stringing.  I suppose you could be careful and always use a bow stringer, but I don't always have a bow stringer with me.  Anybody ever have any problems with this or any thoughts?  Thanks,  Bill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Snakeskin backings
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 12:14:27 am »
Bill, I usually leave the last 6" of each tip without skin on it and put a wrap around the end. I like the look of the bows bare tips plus it makes it easier to brace.
   The bow below has cherry bark backing but you can see what I mean. I do this with snake skins also.       Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline diegosdaddy

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 12:49:20 pm »
thanks Pat.  I think your way is the way to go. I have seen recently on this site bows backed with snakeskins right up to the nocks.  I for one can't brace my bows without a lot of string friction in that area and it just seems that it would shortly start to wear the skin off.  Bill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 01:08:39 pm »
You are right Bill. That is why I started doing skins and other abrasive surfaced backings like in the pics. It also gives a nice contrast to help highlight the beauty of the backing material. For the wrapping I use silk thread but any serving thread, artificial sinew or real sinew will work. With the silk and other threads, after wrapping I saturate the thread with super glue and let it cure. Then I sand it(the wrap) with fine sandpaper and add more glue, let cure and sand, etc. This gives a good "hold down" for the backing material but once done the wrap is as a solid, secure band around the end on the backing. I got the silk thread from 3Rivers Archery. It comes in 5 different colors but you can probably a similar thread from WalMart of a fabric or sewing store.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 08:11:53 am »
I have done some like Pat dose before,but usually go all the way to the tips or at least
to the tip overlay if it has one.I use tru oil to seal them and just keep going over it till
it gets slick.I use 000 steel inbetween coats,rubbing lightly with the scales [from head to tail ]
and put another coat of tru oil.It will get slick as glass and have had no problems with the
string wearing. Skins look good both ways.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline John K

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 07:55:05 pm »
I have a bow that i've been putting tung oil on and i'm wondering if i can still put snake skins on it or should i have done that before i applied the finish ?

Thanks John
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 11:55:42 am »
Just take the finish off back down to plane wood on the back and go for it.I have done a few that
way with no problem. If it is good clean wood I do it with a scraper being careful not to get into the wood on the back and then clean it up with sand paper.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline John K

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 01:43:20 pm »
Sounds good Pappy !
The only way to fail is to never start !