Author Topic: Arrow finishes  (Read 9708 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Arrow finishes
« on: September 29, 2008, 08:01:59 pm »
What do YOU use for arrow finish and why?  Do you paint it on, or use diptubes, and if so, what do you use to thin the finish?  I realize I am really stirring the pot (>:D), but I am interested in something other than the usual 3 coats of "Polly-you're-insane" that I wipe on.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline ZanderPommo

Re: Arrow finishes
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 08:15:40 pm »
spray "poly you're insane.......which is probably not as cost effecient :-\

Zander

Attigas

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 09:25:40 pm »
mostly i use linseed oil, applied with a paint brush several times or embrued in.
why? well, it's natural, pure (no toxic ingredients, no ingredients at all; i too feed my chessie with it), protects efficiently against moisture and leaves no glossy surface. besides, it shades the wood and brings out the grain slightly. it can be lacquered over for cresting, glued on with either fletching tape (sorry  :-[ ) or any glue. you can apply tung oil or any hard oil for finishing either.
it's traditional, cheap - almost perfect.
mho.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 09:39:25 pm »
I use pure tung oil on everything...because it's easy.

As far as the "best" finish....most woodworkers (that I know) use spray poly.  If I knew beforehand that the arrow was going to be seriously abused, I would definitely spray two or more coats of lacquer or poly on it.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 09:56:14 pm »
My two favorites after years of experimenting are Tru-oil or bear grease, depending on how primitive I want them. I've been really impressed with the Tru-oil (several thin coats) for moisture resistance and toughness-the bear grease works great too. I've heard that two-ton epoxy thinned with acetone or denatured alchohol is a bulletproof finish, but haven't tried it yet.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 12:54:41 am »
On cedar arrows I would dip in water based poly. With hardwood shoot arrows I have used Tru-Oil, bear fat and pine pitch varnish. On cane arrows I don't use a finish because I leave the rind on.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Shooter_G22

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 01:14:54 am »
has anybody used lard as a finish or sealer???  you know like land o lakes lard...  somewhere i heard or read that primitive arrows and some bows were coated with animal fat as a protective sealer and i was wondering if land o lakes lard would work????

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 01:26:17 am »
Lard is pig fat. It should work just fine. One of my hunting bows for this year is a yew selfbow and bear fat is what I used for a finish. I have noticed it gets a tad bit limp during very humid days.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jape

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 03:06:51 am »
I have just tried wattle (acacia) pitch as a varnish and it seems good and can be mixed with stains such as red ochre (comes out orangey though), don't know how long it will last but I will try solvents such as alcohol which is reasonably primitive  ;D as well as melting in water. Does anyone know of natural additives to make it harder/waterproof as a protective finish?

This is testing for future application on POC and hardwood shafts. I leave bamboo as is.

For the less primitive hardwood arrows and previous POC shafts I have always painted and poly'd, but given that it still scratches off easily so I am moving to natural finishes.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 10:40:19 am »
For those of you using fats/greases, I would have to guessing you apply it AFTER fletching?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 12:32:58 pm »
Yeah, if I'm using Tru-oil or poly I finish the shafts before fletching, usually do it afterwards with grease. Have done it beforehand, though-especially with two-fletch Eastern Woodland arrows. No glue involved there.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline anglobow

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 11:05:56 pm »
For my own primitive arrows: at least three coats of pine varnish, followed by a surface polish of beeswax/pine resin blend.

On modern traditional cane and wood arrows: five or six coats of Helmsman spar urethane.

Neil

Ranger B

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 11:53:11 pm »
I stain them the color I want and then dip them in gasket lacquer.  Each dip is about 10 grains of wt. added which is helpful when you are trying to match arrows.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 10:46:55 pm »
For quickie target arras I use Gasket Laquer.  You can dip a doz with 4 coats in about 20 mins.  For my semi primitive arras I use Waterlox.  It's a tung oil blend.  You can hand rub it so your arras don't look shiny.  It seems to keep moisture absorbtion to a minimum.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 05:45:41 pm »
The fat I cut off a deer. It takes lots of repeated coats over time, but it's the easiest I have on hand, and is fine with heat straightenning or scraping (respining).

I was told recently to try poly urethane though, but I have yet to try it.