Author Topic: River Cane?  (Read 6875 times)

Offline Silver Arrow

River Cane?
« on: October 02, 2008, 11:21:32 pm »
Where does river cane grow- what part of North America?  Does it grow in or around Southern Ontario?   Or is it a priveledge only some of you get lol.   What else is a good material to make arrow shafts out of?

Offline sailordad

Re: River Cane?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 11:33:41 pm »
not 100 percent positive,but i believe it grows south to south eastern u.s.,so ya only for the privileaged
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 12:17:13 am »
I did some checking and found it does not grow in Il. any further north than the southern 1/4 of the state.  Doubt if you'll find any up there.
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 12:33:23 am »
River cane, switch cane and hill cane(Arundaneria) is indigenous to the South Eastern US.    In your area you probably have red osier dogwood, gray dogwood, meadow sweat and other clump type shrubs. Shoots from woods like maples, birch and other trees. Once the leaves have fallen off is the best time to find and collect shoots for arrows. You can also make split out shafting from pines, fir, poplar and others.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 03:24:40 pm »
 If you've got wild rose up there,that can make a dense,tough shaft also.I used to use it alot when I lived in Washington state.There was alot of it there that was growing along the columbia river.Very straight.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington