Author Topic: Good ground blind  (Read 4340 times)

Offline sammy1234

Good ground blind
« on: October 05, 2008, 02:59:03 pm »
I'm looking for a good ground blind to use when hunting with my 62" recurve.  If anyone here currently owns one that works well when using a longbow I am all ears. Just want to make sure I do not buy one that is too small (again).
Thanks
Craig

Offline Kegan

Re: Good ground blind
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 03:33:02 pm »
 An upwind stump. I've had several deer come within range just sitting in the open on a log or rock, near a tree or two is even better. Unless they come in behind me, then *snort snort* no more deer :P. As for turkeys, I have no clue.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 03:50:00 pm »
i hunt out of a double bull matrix,awesome blind.
i havent used a selfbow or long bow in it as of yet onlt ny wheelie bow :'(
when i purchased it i wasnt into primitive yet.

they do make what they call "recurve" models of most all of their blinds,one of the creators of te double bull blind co..thats all he hunts with are recurves/trad gear.
the recurve models are like 6 inches taller than the regualr models of the same blind.

my next one is going to be the DOUBLE BULL DARK HORSE RECURVE MODEL. they are a little spendy however i think well worth every penny spent.
i have used several other brands and always had problems with them, any thing from noisey to not being able to anchor them down securely.
the only problem i have had with my double bull( used for both turkey and deer ) is figuring where to set it up. ;D

good luck

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 03:53:30 pm »
I've never used a store bought ground blind so I can't suggest one. Sitting still on the down wind side of a trail or food source with a good backdrop will work as well as a bought blind. Background cover that breaks up your outline will go a long way to conceal you and a bit of side and front cover helps also. Playing the wind and sitting still are the keys to successful ground hunting.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 10:37:46 pm »
   I carry a pair of pruning shears with me. Thay are lighter and I can build a ground blind or Hut real quick.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

kdub

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 03:48:21 pm »
Make a blind out of brush.  I use camo netting in some of ny blinds too, especially when duck hunting.  I think thatnatural blinds are the best way to go.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 06:40:59 pm »
i still like my double bull.

ive had deer and turkey and cranes so close you could reach out and slap them. the trick is when you pack
it away to put scent wafers like dirt scent or acorn scent right in the blind. the next time you take it
with you thats all the critters smell is the cover scent.

tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 12:36:51 am »
well, if you have a permanent spot, I'd honestly reccoment making one- something good for winter, we made one for coyotee hunting, but its not hunting, its more of coyotee management ;D  the reason I saw this is because we use 30-06 and 17 HMR, not the good old bow n arra :P but anaways, we cut down a dead tree to a stump a few feet off the ground, then build it up from pine 2 by 4's and plywood... god that was fun- the next time we go up north ill take a few pictures, there great if you have a permenant spot-but if you're hunting boar...... watch this!  http://www<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YpzwLAiBSB0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YpzwLAiBSB0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>.youtube.com/watch?v=YpzwLAiBSB0 (one of those, not sure...)
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.