Author Topic: hex arrows  (Read 7749 times)

Shooter_G22

hex arrows
« on: October 06, 2008, 03:19:38 pm »
im sorry to ask this question it must be something simple...

but what is a HEX arrow????

is it Material ???  Style?? or shape??? or what ???

i saw a picture of those bueatiful BAMBOO HEX ARROWS and i thought they were awsome but coudnt figure out what the HEX meant???

can sombody clear this up for me???
thanks...

Offline adb

Re: hex arrows
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 03:22:18 pm »
Hexpine arrows are made in Vernon, BC, Canada. They're a glued six segment pine shaft.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 03:49:36 pm »
These hex shafts Nick made with bamboo. If you look at the end it looks like a pie with 6 pieces.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Shooter_G22

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 08:35:01 pm »
Wow!!!

how do you get six pieces of wood to glue togather to make one shaft???   and what is the purpose of this technique??? 

what Advantage does this give over a regular shaft and how hard is this to do  or make???

dont get me wrong i think its cool but why??  is there a great advantage that this gives or is it just braging right and being diferant the motive???

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 11:34:28 am »
Bamboo fly rods were built the same way, and still are if you have enough money to afford that kind of custom work.  The 'boo is split, shaped, and re-assembled with the insides now on the outside and vice versa.  It makes it possible to get consistent diameter from end to end without losing strength.  From personal conversation with someone that has used these shafts, I hear that they start pretty straight and rarely ever need any straightening, certainly an advantage in my book.  I don't know anyone that has used the pine hex shafts, got nothing for ya there.

The solid cane shaft proponents scratch their heads and wonder why someone would take all the time and effort when the cane is naturally such a good arrow material.  Find a simple answer, disseminate it to the general public, and watch every last one of us try to find a way to modify or improve on it...that's what humans do.  That's why we left the trees and ventured out on our hind legs n the first place. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 11:40:58 am »
Making hex shaft arrows is an advanced woodworking technique that produces a very consistent arrow in terms of spine and overall strength.  I heard that hex pine shafts work very well and some guys are hooked on them.  It's all about how "fancy" you want your equipment to be.  Personally, I think they are really cool but I would never make one because of the time involved....especially when hardwood shoots, bamboo, and rivercane are such good & cheap arrow materials in their natural state.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr