Author Topic: New Mountain Maple Bow is lethal  (Read 16369 times)

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Re: New Mountain Maple Bow is lethal
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 02:11:35 pm »
Thanks very much you guys. In reality you all build my bows. I have learned a heap from lurking (leaching) here. Danny, if I lived in the "land of Osage" you'd be hard pressed to dissuade from that great wood too. As it is here, yew is the great prize but not that easy to find really good stuff (shrubby generally). Oldbow you're welcome to drop in on your next loop north. Bookmark that. Dana unbraced profile shows about 1" of follow. The wood (decrowned 3" sapling) started out dead straight, picked up very little reflex after sinewing. Limb width is 1 3/8" with a pretty flat belly. Frank, I am sure this wood could be used unbacked, but I am not sure how wide a good bow would have to be. As Steve pointed out, he makes maple bows wider (but shorter) than this one. One thing I am interested in is how this maple species compares to the other low-density maples. The Indians were big time into this stuff for things like snowshoes, fishing tackle, etc., and there are many comments about how tough the wood is. Jimmy, the snake skins (I bought them) were applied with hide glue. I gave the sinew back plenty of time to cure before I applied them. The idea was to make a bow of all natural materials, although they are not all authentically American. I finished it with shellac to protect from the drizzle we tend to get up here come November. Incidentally I walked this bow all over the woods yesterday braced for 12 hours and didn't see or hear so much as a chipmunk.
Dave
NW Montana

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2008, 02:18:33 pm »
sorry to hear that, but the bow still is a beauty. my fingers are so callassed, i cant shoot very constant at the moment-through tho glove, too. did you clanp that hide glue, or put any kind of preassure onto it? thanks, hopefully you'll have more luck next time man -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline David Long

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 02:30:27 pm »
No sir Jimmy, did not clamp the skins. That hide glue shrinks and sucks them on for good once dry. I put a thin layer of warm glue on the sinew back, quickly rub a thin one on the skins (soaked in water, patted damp), then roll them on, squeegeeing bubbles and excess glue out until things start to set up. Other guys on here know much more about this than I do. Seems to work just fine this way. Dave
NW Montana

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 08:42:10 pm »

David, that is very nice.  What part of Montana do you live in?  I will be living in Thompson Falls, if the market ever gets back to normal, and I can sell my house here.
                                                                              Wayne

Offline David Long

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 11:46:16 pm »
Thanks Wayne. I live in Kalispell, not all that far from T Falls. I am not sure what a "normal" market is, but today wasn't so bad! Dave
NW Montana

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2008, 11:53:06 pm »
cool, that answered my questions about skins, I love how they camoflauge with the woods without having to like paint it or anthing. thanks, -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2008, 01:15:49 am »
 Kalispell is a nice town,I see the price of real estate has gone up since I was living in Troy (1979) Love the Kootenai river and all that country clear down to Thompson falls.Up to the C. Border. good hunting/fishing,good folks too ! Good luck on the hunting.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline NTProf

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2008, 01:29:51 am »
Badger,

Just wondered what kind of maple the bow(s) on pp. 100, 104 in TBB 4 are made of?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 02:32:56 am »

Yeah, David Kalispell, is not far, from Thompson Falls.  Nice area, and fishing, and hunting there also.  Hawkbow, and Broken Hand live there also.  I have a good Buddy who lives in thompson Falls, and when I told him I was into primitive archery, he told me he was going to have to get a Friend of his who hunts with homemade bows made of Mountain Maple, and I together.  I thought maybe he meant Vine Maple.  But I guess not.  He said he makes his own Bows, and Arrows, and does quite well during archery season.  I will be going back out there again next April, or maybe june.  Can't afford to go sooner.  I have a 30 x 40' garage with a small living quarters in it, that is finished, and ready.  I just had my Buddy winterize it for me, so no pipes burst.  I don't want to pay any more electric bills than I have to . As for a normal market, I mean, When I can sell my house for a decent value, and not just take whatever I can get.  Fishoonah, it is indeed God's country.  My Brother worked in Alaska for five months.  He would move there in a heart beat, but his wife wouldn't.  She had a great time when she visited him up there, but said she could not live there.  It is indeed beautiful, but when it gets cold enough to break metal, it's too cold for this Fla. Boy!  Winter in Thompson falls ain't bad at all, but I just couldn't deal with the Alaska cold.    We will have to get together, when I go out there next year.  Maybe do a little fishing in St. Regis, and have lunch at Little Bear in thompson Falls, and talk feathers and sticks. :)

Wayne

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2008, 08:28:45 am »
You did a fine job on your bow, looks like it shoud get the job done on an elk for sure!  ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2008, 11:43:49 am »
Mighty fine looking weapon-hope you get the chance to point it at an elk soon.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline majsnuff

• Shoot low boys the bad guys are riding ponies.
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2008, 01:00:23 pm »
Great bow. Good job.
I just returned from your part of the country neighbor (I am in N. Idaho). I built a silk backed 15lb Mountain maple bow for my Grandson when he was 7, he is now 17 and his little sister shoots that bow when she is visiting. It took a bit of string follow due to over drawing, but it stll shoots good for the kids.
I cut a couple staves of Mountain Maple last month, I plan on building bows from them this winter. Another good wood in our area is Syringa. It is low density but a bit more prone to checking than is Mountain maple
keep it simple
make it fun

Offline Roy

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2008, 02:21:43 pm »
Very nice David...

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2008, 05:50:43 pm »
very nice, i like the skins on that one. and im ususally not very fond of snakeskins on bows, but that looks good. well done.

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline robbsbass

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2008, 12:09:48 am »
That is one sweeeeet looking bow.  Nice Job.
What type of maple did you say it was. The skin backing
really sets it off.
Robb
live each day the best you can