Author Topic: New Mountain Maple Bow is lethal  (Read 16368 times)

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
New Mountain Maple Bow is lethal
« on: October 11, 2008, 04:24:53 pm »
This shrubby tree grows all over my area (NW Montana) and frequently the saplings are super straight and largely knot free. While I was out scouting for yew with a Salish friend of mine he offhandedly mentioned that his elders used to use this tree (Acer glabrum) to make bows. Sure enough, Reginald and Gladys Laubin in their classic "American Indian Archery" mention that the Sakanis (British Columbia) used Mountain Maple backed with sinew. And then there are a number of references to its use in archery in the ethnobotanical literature, mainly Nancy Turner who studies Thompson River Salish and other BC peoples. Oldbow has made a few out of this low density wood, at least one nice one he posted but in PMs he wasn't all that keen on the stuff's properties and promise. I decided to give it a whack and came up with this bow, which I am very pleased with. I designed it after the bows mentioned in the references: long at 67" NTN, sinew backed (elk with a snake skin), pulls 55 lbs at my 26" draw length. Total mass 21.5 oz finished with elk raw hide grip. I wanted an elk hunting weapon and I think I got one, although the elk are not necessarily convinced (the season has yet to end). I have shot the bow many thousands of times and it shows no sign of dying, although the two grouse I shot yesterday (while looking for elk) are dead. It irks me when you read these old (biased) accounts of native people's hunting technology and they say it was not so good or even inferior. One of my motivations for making this bow was to prove to myself that authentic materials are a good way to go. Try this wood if you have it in your area. Some of the great things about it- straight, knot free, easy and very pleasant to work, and no matter how fast you dry it, in my hands it absolutely will not check. Tear the bark off and go at it. This is a major plus in my mind.

[attachment deleted by admin]
NW Montana

Bowbound

Re: New Mountain Maple Bow is lethal
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 04:30:59 pm »
Nice bow, hope it will let you get that elk.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 04:50:50 pm »
That tiller is superb. This is the kind of reports we need to hear. LIving in the land of osage I tend to ignore the possiblities of using other woods but this proves they are worth giving a try. Thanks for sharing.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 09:57:50 pm »
Good Job, David. I cruised through there (Kalispell...Libby...Bull Lake...Thompson Falls) just last week. 
Lots of mtn maple, yew, chokecherry, hawthorne.
I'm in Los Angeles tonight but got you bookmarked for Oct Self Bow of the Month.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 11:49:39 pm »
Very nice bow. Congratulations! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 09:03:09 am »
Real nice bow with a good tiller :) Could you post an unbraced picture?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 12:03:41 pm »
 Good looking bow.That should make an impression on a wapiti. Nice !
I am going to be over in Montana next month,I will look that tree up and see about getting a stave or two cut.(I hope I have room in the van for all the wood I hope to cut on my visit south this year). What do you think of that wood as an un-backed bow ?      Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 12:27:14 pm »
Nice looking bow. I to really like maple for bows.

Steve

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 01:09:44 pm »
David, I have made a lot of soft maple bows, they are very fast bows if not underbuilt. I have always wanted to sinew one but havent gotten around to it yet. Most of mine are about 62" long, stiff handle and 2 1/2' wide @ 50 to 55#. Steve

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 04:37:42 pm »
That looks like a elk killing bow if i ever saw one, very nice brother, what part of Montana you from... I am an old Bitterroot valley resident.. before all the people ruined the country... look forward to your success with the bow.. post pics of that big bull when you make meat with her... HAWK
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

tpoof

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 04:47:36 pm »
If looks could kill it looks like it could kill  ;D

Ranger B

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 08:24:43 pm »
Great looking bow.  good luck in the woods brother.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 06:05:25 am »
Very nice.Nice work on that one. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 09:17:46 am »
Very nice bow David. Really like the profile, looks like it would shoot fast.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 01:55:29 pm »
 thats a beauty, man. the skins on the back look great, too! did you have to put the bow in any kind of hot box for the skins? I have a very, very old skin that I think i can put to use, but not really sure how to apply. cool bow man, its good to hear about the alternative woods like this. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.