Author Topic: Trying to understand brace-height  (Read 8424 times)

Offline David Long

• Only dead fish swim with the stream.
Re: Trying to understand brace-height
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 03:10:53 pm »
Piper,

If you are so inclined, you can read about the technical/physical aspects of BH here: http://www.goarchers.org.uk/mechanics/ under the category "Braceing Height". This is Joe Tapley's site, a guy who knows a tremendous amount about the physical mechanics of archery AND can explain it in plain english. Really good site to go back to over and over again (for me at least :)). Hope this helps. Dave
NW Montana

Offline stickbender

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 05:26:48 pm »

Hmmm, Island Piper, Violin makers are a lot like Dental lab Techs.  I USED to be one.  Like you said get ten together, and they will lie and try to steal customers, by telling the Dentists, he will not charge, for mold pouring, or for stippling, or such.  And Bingo, you have lost a customer.  They are a back stabging bunch.  Instead of getting together, and helping each other, they would rather try to steal business from you.  I could say a few unkind things about Dentists also.  Oh boy could I.  If you ever have to have a gold tooth pulled, MAKE SURE YOU GET THE THE TOOTH WITH THE GOLD CROWN, OR INLAY BACK!!!!!  I can take you into ANY Dentist's office, and show you a gallon jar filled with gold and teeth.  They send it to the refinery, and minus the refinery cost, they get the money for the gold.  Most people don't  think about it.  After it is just a small peice of gold......Yeah, well it is your small piece of gold!  Make sure you get it back!  And don't let the Dentist give you any bull about it.  Be very adamant about it.  And make sure it is YOUR tooth also!  Might try to swap a smaller chunk, or even non gold.  Well Island Piper, instinct shooting is a fun, and natural way to shoot, and once you get the hang of it, you will do well.  Our ancestors survived by it. 
      Just feel the bow, be the bow......be the arrow......and the word for the day is......AHHHhhmmmmmmmmmm ;D

Wayne

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 10:03:07 pm »
wayne, thanks for the gold info....last time i had a $500 crown pulled i did get the metal back.. As we age, small bits of us end up in the drawer or down the drain!!  heh heh heh

I will probably always instinct shoot as it is pretty late in the game to become a REAL ARCHER and learn all the technical things and buy the toys and tools and practice. 

Instint shooting probably made for either fat cavemen or skinny cavemen......and I could afford to lose a few pounds. 

Piper

Offline benjamin

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 11:39:04 pm »
I perfer instinctive shooting over aiming. Think of throwing a baseball. Stare at the mit and throw. If you watch some pitchers, they're still pointing at the mit after the release. Same idea. If you just point at something, your finger looks like its way off until you lower your eye and see that you really are pointing straight at it. While shooting, the arrow becomes your finger. With a little... or a lot of practice, you can put the arrow into the bullseye as easy as a ball in the catcher's mit. Your brain already knows how to point the finger, its just a matter of getting it used to pointing with something else in your hand.
     I'm pretty accurate this way and it helps when you're not EXACTLY at a certain distance. Aming requires you to know your disstance to use the right site or whatever. It's a lot more fun, not to mention much more impressive to the compound shooters.