Author Topic: ruttin' activity already  (Read 4256 times)

Offline sonny

ruttin' activity already
« on: October 19, 2008, 01:29:09 pm »
We've had some cool mornings here in central Va. but I didn't expect that it was cool enough that the deer would show signs of ruttin' yet.
While hunting yesterday afternoon I heard a doe bleating somewhere back behind me then fifteen or twenty minutes later two does came in to my right, the second one closely followed by a big-bodied four point grunting and generally worrying the hell out of her. Then just before dark they came through once again, that buck hot after that doe.   

...and however much I hate to admit it I had shots at two different deer and missed both. The first shot was at the lead doe who had turned such that she was quartering away. Then I took a quick shot at the other doe just before dark but missed low. I'm a little frustrated by it now but it was damn exciting at the time !!!

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: ruttin' activity already
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 01:42:07 pm »
Thats half the Fun of it Sonny....not jut a Kill....but the whole Experience of the Hunt......Glad you got the Chance....and glad you missed and didnt just wound....maybe next time you will bring Home the Meat...Good Luck
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 05:07:25 pm »
  Florida is wierd when it comes to the Rut. It starts at different times of the year depending where you are at in the state. My neighbor, bow hunting in So. Fla 2 weeks ago shot a 6 point buck with his pistol. He basicly, just put it down. It wouldn't run and was all skin and bones, and said the hair was pulling off in places. Afterwards he found out it had a bad infection from being gored, fighting another buck. One punture was under the shoulder and into a lung. It had two more holes besides that one. It seemed early for bucks fighting, but it is Fall down here, even if it's in the 80's.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 05:11:39 pm »

While most hunters think that the rut is an event that only takes place a few days or weeks, a number of rut phases lead up and follow the actual rut, the peak rut. All of these phases involve sexual activity and are part of the rutting process. This process can take many moths starting as early as August in some southern areas of North America and lasting well into February in some northern parts of North America.

The most important aspect to learn about the rut is the timing varies from area to area as well as from one year to another. In short there is not a set date when the rut starts and ends. If you heard or read, as I did, that the rut starts everywhere during the second week of November then you would be very wise to doubt that statement. Because it just doesn’t happen that way, at least not in my experience.

You should also be aware that much what is reported as fact is actually theory. We simply do not know all the answers about why deer do whatever it is they do or when they do it.

Generally speaking bucks are capable of reproduction the moment they shed their antler velvet. But the does are not ready at that time. We have identified four stages that lead up to the peak-rut, where most does are ready to be breed, or follow that period.

Pre-Rut
As the temperatures begin to fall the bucks shed the antler velvet and begin their sparing matches. These are not life and death fights but simply a push and shove affair where bucks get rid of some frustration and test their competitors. It’s almost a joke on the bucks from Mother Nature that they are ready to breed but the does aren’t. At this time bucks still live together in bachelor groups.

Chasing Phase
About two to four weeks after the Pre Rut the chasing phase begins. The mature bucks begin now to leave the buck groups and lead a live in solitude, beginning to follow the does around, chasing them. At about this time the does begin to produce pheromones as the estrus nears. It is believed that this pheromones advertising the estrus cycle causes bucks to produce more male hormones.

At first bucks follow the does in some distance, shadowing the does. While there may be several bucks that follow a doe, it will be the dominant bucks that follow the doe at a close distance. As the doe nears her full estrus cycle the bucks chase becomes more intensified.

The Rut
The estrus period, where a doe is most fertile, only lasts about 24 hours. The doe will now stand still for the buck rather than run away from him the moment he tries to come very close to her. She will now tolerate that the buck mounts her. After breeding the buck will stay with that doe throughout her estrus period before he goes off to find a new estrus doe, commonly referred to as “doe in heat”. Bucks breed several does in a very short time frame. Not all the does come in heat at exactly the same day.

If a doe has not been breed the first time she will come in heat again after 28 days. Researchers have found that some does can go trough six to seven estrus cycles. However, most does are breed the first time around.

It is the few does that repeat their estrus cycles in 28 days that lead up to the post rut.

Post Rut
The post rut is the same as the Rut but very much less intensive as the first rut. Bucks are still wandering about and checking out doe feeding and bedding areas to find the last un-breed doe.

What triggers the rut? As I said before the doe entering the estrus cycle triggers the rut. The next question then would what makes the doe come into the estrus cycle? Well there are many different opinion and theories. In my experience, that is shared by many experts. The trigger is a sharp drop in temperature. The first cold snap may be what causes the doe to come into estrus. This also would explain why the rut takes place at different times in different areas and years. While in the north the rut may come with the first frost of the year in the south it may be just the difference of a few degrees in temperature. There are also theories that the moon plays some part in the rut too, but I have no data or experience to verify this phenomenon.

Researchers are constantly researching the rut and one day will perhaps find the answers we are all seeking. In the meantime, the best advice I can give to hunters is to be out in the woods as much as possible. The odds of harvesting a big buck are directly linked to the amount of time spent in the outdoors.

As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 08:44:06 am »
The rut is definitely at least starting here...with scrape's and rub's galore. Saturday morning I had a spike and 4point chasing a doe in front of me. At one point the 4point chased the doe by me at about 8 yards. I wouldn't take the trotting shot...the doe jumped a fence and the buck stopped at the fence at about 18 yards. Right when I released he turned and I ended up hitting him in the hind leg. The arrow broke off at the broadhead. Although he had a good blood trail, I tracked him several hundred yards with signs of the wound beginning to clot up. Later the same two bucks passed near Keith's stand which was at least 400-500 yards from where I last tracked the buck. I hate wounding one, but if you hunt...it will happen. All we can do is limit the distance of our shots and practice to be as good a shot as we can.

Keith took his 8pt that same morning...later found a fresh scrape within 100 yards of his stand.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Don

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 10:18:46 pm »
Very true Greg, you hate it when something like that happens.
But it has or will happen to everyone sooner or later.
I haven't been out for about a week so not sure of the rut but the bucks should be looking around at the girls a bit.
Took a small buck last Sunday with the flintlock and he was following a small doe around but not really chasing.
I think another couple of weeks the big boys will start in ernest.

Don