Author Topic: Had to be an "Oak" this afternoon  (Read 8353 times)

Offline Mechslasher

Had to be an "Oak" this afternoon
« on: October 20, 2008, 10:02:11 pm »
got permission to hunt an area across some railroad tracks i've been eyeing for the past two years.  the fellow just ask that i call before i go hunting on his place.  i've spoken with him several times in the past couple weeks and this afternoon he asked that i not shoot anything under 15".  this was the first time he had mentioned that but i told him that it wouldn't be a problem because i don't have much luck with bucks.  you can guess the results of this afternoons hunt.  about 6 i looked up and saw some feet coming through one of my blind spots.  it was coming down a trail that i scouted yesterday and it must have smelled me (even after 24 hours) because it slammed on breaks and started looking around.  it turned around and trotted straight into one of my shooting lanes.  it stopped about 12 yards out slightly quartering away.  you guessed it, the buck only had a 13" rack.  i bent the string on him, twice, but didn't let the arrow fly!  i watched him wonder off and kicked myself several times for not letting the arrow fly.  this was a tough hunt to say the least.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Had to be an "Oak" this afternoon
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 08:13:29 am »
Tough luck, but you did the right thing...probably would have loss your hunting spot if you'd taken the deer.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 09:04:47 am »
That is tough. I hate antler restriction's - aught to be able to shoot whatever steps out if ya have a tag or want some meat.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 09:28:55 am »
Yeah, bummer. I'm not into deer farming myself-I like to hunt, not genetically manipulate wild animals.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 10:09:14 am »
Ya I hate them to.I let the guys that hunt on my farm shoot what ever the want.I use to have
some friends that I let gun hunt[No guns anymore no wheel bows either] and they got a little carried away,killing any small buck that came along and wouldn't shoot the does ,so rather than put a size restriction on them I just told them to shoot what ever buck they wanted all I ask was that they show me the mount,[full shoulder] I didn't care if they killed a spike or 4/6 as long as they mounted it,that took care of the problem.  ;) In fact they only hunted that year and didn't come back the next.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 10:28:34 am »
Sometimes it is rough letting one walk.  Especially when you haven't had good luck with bucks.  I do like antler restrictions to a point.  They serve a purpose in a keeping a healthy deer herd.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 10:37:01 am »
The Michigan DNR has imposed antler restrictions here in the UP of Michigan at the request of
the Whitetail organizations >:( May be all well and good in some of the counties but where I live just seeing
a deer can be a challenge. I've seen one deer so far since Oct 1st a spike and therefore illegal.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

kyleM

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 10:53:40 am »
The Michigan DNR has imposed antler restrictions here in the UP of Michigan at the request of
the Whitetail organizations >:( May be all well and good in some of the counties but where I live just seeing
a deer can be a challenge. I've seen one deer so far since Oct 1st a spike and therefore illegal.

I think they should bring back the old doe tag ways..

Offline John K

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 11:30:53 am »
A bigger one will come you'r way ! ;)
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 12:26:55 pm »
I think people are brainwashed from watching too many buckmasters shows. Anybody that looks at a deer and sees nothing but a set of horns, I don't want anything to do with. If I ever get to the point that my heart rate doesn't kick up from seeing a doe or small buc, I'll quit hunting. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 12:53:10 pm »
I don't mind antler restrictions like Justin for the sake of the healthy heard. We have too many does almost everywhere so more pressure should be put on them to get the buck/doe ratio back to a more even ratio. That way you get more does bred during their first or possibly second heat and you don't have spotted fawns going into December of later. Big antlers are a byproduct of this. I'm not an antler hunter either. At this point in my bow hunting career I be ready to shoot almost any deer. I do let small bucks walk usually.
   I guess this will get to be a heated topic!   Get the popcorn ready!    pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

kyleM

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 01:07:40 pm »
The thing is, the area that my dad hunts (DanaM) all you can buy are buck tags, i havnt deer hunted up there in 2 years now, because im stuck in the south in the coast guard, so i dont know what the rules are this year.. But i know the past few years you cant take a doe in certein counties because they dont have any tags out for them!

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 02:16:23 pm »
i've seen deer just about every time i've hunted in and around this place.  i saw three does later that afternoon but they were out of range feeding in the middle of a kudzu field.  i guess it was a moral victory since i was able to draw on him twice.  i'm now looking at the outcome as there are two or more birds in the bush instead of one in the hand.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 02:35:16 pm »
I'm with hillbilly as for the antler thing its why I won't join the local Whitetails organazination, their trophy hunters to a man. I hunt for the enjoyment and
the meat but it still makes me mad that the only deer I've seen was illegal because it was a spike. I can shoot two does
on my combination license with archery equipment.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline John K

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 02:36:58 pm »
Dana, How many points do they need before you can shoot them  ???
The only way to fail is to never start !