Author Topic: Hammering Yote  (Read 6848 times)

Ranger B

Hammering Yote
« on: October 21, 2008, 07:42:49 pm »
Today I got on the stand at 5:30 a.m. and right after daylight I heard the turkeys coming off the roost and almost immediately they began cackling.  I saw them running and then saw a coyote chasing them.  I saw no deer!  After about an hour he got too close to my stand and I drilled him right behind the shoulder.  He took off and in about another hour a little 6 pointer came in.  He walked around for a while and when he started to leave I gave him a couple of gently grunts and he circled back for another look then eased out.   When I got off the stand I followed where the coyote had run.  I knew he couldn't be far.  About 50 yards from my stand I saw the only blood and then at about 60 yards I saw my arrow, broken in two and bloody from feathers to the end, but no coyote.  I searched for that coyote for over an hour and nothing.  Is this typical?  Are they hard to track and can they run longer than a deer?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Hammering Yote
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 07:53:24 pm »
I shot one once a couple years ago with my bow. But it was almost a straight down shot from my tree stand and the arrow passed threw it right between the shoulder blades. It ran around 75 to a hundred yards before it crawled in a hole under a  blow down tree where the roots had pulled up out of the ground. Mine bled like crazy the whole way, wasnt that hard to track. They are definetley tough critters though.  8)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 11:13:52 pm »
They are really good at hiding when wounded.They usually won't just lay down in the open.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 11:21:40 pm »
 Man your on a role Ranger.  Sorry you didn't find him.  yotes are tuff critters and after all that fur is off they are fairly small bodies.  I've shot two with bow and several with rifles and they can be brutal tuff. One time I hit one with a .223 AR , quarted away and from behind the shoulder, blew out his chest and he was still alive chewing on his own leg. Kind of errie to see that.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 12:17:16 am »
I have shot coyotes through the chest with .223 and 22-250 and had them run 200 yards before they dropped.  They can be real tough to kill and even harder to find.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Ranger B

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 06:44:18 am »
Well, I guess that explains it.  I was disappointed not to find him.  I hit him right behind the shoulder at 8 yards or so. Didn't think he would go far and already had a new quiver in mind with his hide.  Maybe next time.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 06:52:35 am »
Good luck this morning. Also something to think about,sometimes it ant right where you think it is.
Right behind the shoulder mid way up he shouldest have gone to far.The couple I have killed with a bow didn't go far but both went under a bunch of brush. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 08:02:11 am »
Jimmy, sorry you didn't find him...I've shot at a couple, but so far haven't connected... :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »
They're tough critters. I shot one with a 30/06 150 grain core-lokt that went probably close to a hundred yards. It blew one side of its chest out, literally a fist-sized hole. I was tracking it not by blood, but by ribs, hearts, livers, lungs and stuff strown along the ground. I was amazed at how far it went after having its chest cavity almost completely cleaned out.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 05:29:52 pm »
You guys have probably seen this one.....just thought it was interesting.  The archer shoots the coyote square between the eyes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P1uyeRqjBo&feature=related
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Ranger B

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 07:18:13 pm »
You didn't tell me I was supposed to aim at the head.  I shot the vitals like on Twin Oaks 3D targets.  I need another try  ;D ;D

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 11:03:32 pm »
we shot a crap load of them last year, but we lost of them- they almsot always ran in the river, if the blood wasn't too good, there wasn't much chance if it went in the river. we were also using 30-06 and 17 hmr though, my god, you're on a roll man! sorry you couldn't find em though.  good luck hunting though man, i wouldn't shoot a coyote in the head tho , that guy had a wheelie bow :P what a noob ;D I could just imagine an arrow deflecting right off it, and the thing starring up at me and laughing, while I fumble around trying to knock another arrow-lol. jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.

Offline ZanderPommo

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 12:23:05 am »
what could you use besides the hide on a cyote? i realize they're vermin kinda (no limit where I'm at and a lllooonnnngggg season) but shouldn't you be worried about if they were rabid?

Zander

Ranger B

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 06:27:04 am »
They chase and kill just about every game animal I hunt.  That one was chasing the turkeys.  I fly helicopters in the Army and at night I see them chasing deer all over Fort Campbell.  You can hunt them year round in TN and there is no limit for a good reason.  I don't mind killing one for his hide at all, but that's just me.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 07:14:21 am »
The eat pretty good,a little stringy tho ,about like a border Collie ;) ;D ;D I save the hide and teeth. :)
   Pappy

Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good