Author Topic: How to make a bow like this.  (Read 3473 times)

peterslongbow

How to make a bow like this.
« on: October 25, 2008, 07:01:36 pm »
I want to make a bow made of yew wood that has twists and turns in it. Most of the wood I see on the internet seem to be not  twisty. I think it looks cool, this will be my first bow. Please let me know where I should start as far as a few basic tools that I would need. The guy here has some pictures of what I am talking about naturalarcher.com

Thanks

Peter
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 10:27:39 am by Ryano »

Offline n2everythg

Re: How to make a bow like this.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 07:31:01 pm »
This board is full of info. check out the how to and build along tab. and keep watching the board and asking questions.
I would suggest starting with a pretty straight stave for your first bow then working up to the twisty ones. they are a real challenge.
luck and welcome aboard.
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 07:47:46 pm »
Peter,  we think alike. I love those character bows too. But they are harder to make. I suggest a straight stave such as hickory or a may be a red oak board to start. My site has info. Welcome.  Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

peterslongbow

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 08:20:53 pm »
Thanks for the link, well I should say I have messed around with boards and make so/so bows but they were of the wrong woods like fir.  I have my heart set on a "snakey" bow, I think I will just learn more about how to make a good one out of wood like that and go really slow.

I have heard that the bow should shot fine even thought it is not straight, is this true ?

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 10:22:13 pm »
Yes it is true. If things are done right , It would be wise for one to gain experience and practice on straight staves first and save those snakey/character staves  when one can do it without any doubts.Character staves ,Snakey staves are harder to come by and more expensive. Experience is what grants the ,hearts desire.
                               Dennis
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 10:25:38 pm by kayakfisher »
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 12:36:25 am »
Not to discourage your zeal one bit because I love character bows and I like a man thats game to the challenge too, I would however recommend that you sharpen your tillering skills on easier projects and then get you some osage to practice on, then when you know you can do it justice step up to the Yew. The reason I say that is because there is a ton of character osage out there that you can probabley get easier than yew.  I'm guessing the yew will cost more to practice on than other woods. Now if you have a ready supply that you won't regret turning into fire wood then by all means, have at it man! On the other hand if that is not the case then the previous advise given by all is good. I have yet to work a yew stave at all because I want to make sure that when I do begin to craft a bow from one that I'll do it justice. Not that I think that osage is better mind you because I don't, its just that I live in osage land and it is common to me, yew is not, so I guess I hold it in a little bit of awe.  But thats just me. In answer to your question of will it shoot fine? Yes  properly done it will.   Danny   
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline broad_head

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 05:12:49 am »
Peter
        I was like you when first decided to make bows. Having seen excellent character bows in books and on this site I got hold of some nice yew. I had about 5 nice staves and due to my inexperience they all ended up as fire wood. Take the advice of the others who have replied and start with a nice straight piece of wood, don't try and run before you can walk.
                                                                                                                                                                                          Peter.(UK)